Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Akitas..

Akitas.. 24 Jan 2012 21:59 #2933

• Kristinew
  • Bear Puppy
Well, im all new on this forum, so im not sure if im putting this in the right category.

What i'd like to ask you all about is:
- is there any one who got an akita as their "first time" dog? or what you'll call it - because i read on the internet that the akita isn't the dog for a first time dog owner. but since i was about seven years old i've always wanted an akita but i was raised in a flat where dogs aren't allowed (eventhough we VERY offen take care of my cousins Shih Zhu) and soon i will be finished with my education an move to a place of my own and i really set my heart on the akita.
so i would love to hear if anyone in here have en experience with that

(By the way, i'm from Denmark so thats why my english isn't very good, haha )

Re: Akitas.. 24 Jan 2012 22:36 #2935

• kobi
  • Teenage Rampager
hello and welcome. i have always had german shepherds and then i herd of a akita kobi who was about to be put down my daughter ask me if we could take him on i knew nothing about akitas so i spent alot of time reading about the breed. and that is a good place to start if you know someone who has one ask if you could visit them and talk about the dog. there are a lot of akitas on this site that need a home.i would like to say yes get one but i cant this is my frist akita and i am leaning myself. but please dont just get one because they look good they need love and to know you will be there for them. i hope this helps

Re: Akitas.. 24 Jan 2012 22:59 #2937

• Suky
  • Proud and Loud
I have always loved and had large dogs, with two exceptions; a staffy/collie cross and a rhodesian ridgeback.

We lost a much loved black siamese cat 14 months ago and felt it was time to have a dog again. We usually adopted our dogs so we were looking for another rescue dog. The RSCPA dogs home in the nearest city had 2 akitas on their site. The looked so beautful but it was a breed that neither of us had come across before and knew nothing about.

We researched, read and read. Armed with this information we thought we may be ready to adopt Thorn whom we had fallen in love when we visited. We were allowed to bring him home for a familiarisation visit after we had been approved of as prospective adopters.

We were not expecting a perfect dog, but we found one. He is gorgeous and we are so lucky to have him.

My own experiences are that they are exceptionally strong and need to know who is leader(s) of the pack. Mine likes routine and as long as he is with us he is content. They need a lot of input from you and they can be very stubborn. If you have the time and the will you will be rewarded with a loyalty and love that is indescribable.

I am just so sad that I found this breed so late in my life, as I know that by the time this youngster crosses the rainbow bridge we will not be suitable long term owners for this breed.... but perhaps we could be foster parents?

Re: Akitas.. 24 Jan 2012 23:02 #2938

• Kristinew
  • Bear Puppy
akitas are beautiful dogs, but thats not why i want one, that's one of the stupidest reasons to get a dog (right now i'm taking care of my cousins Shih zhu and he's like one of the ugliest dogs i've ever seen! but i love him very much)
- unfortunately i dont know anyone who own an akita (and there's almost NO kennels in DK - the one i can find is located far away from where i live and due to im under education i don't have alot of money - but i'll try when i get the money).

Re: Akitas.. 24 Jan 2012 23:13 #2940

• Suky
  • Proud and Loud
May be you can travel when you have completed your studies and then can meet some Akitas.

Perhaps you could visit the UK and meet some of the members on here and their dogs. You can then find out the positives and the drawbacks of owning one of these magnificent animals.

Re: Akitas.. 24 Jan 2012 23:25 #2942

• Kristinew
  • Bear Puppy
Suky:
- Sounds like a good idea, i would never get one before knowing as many details about the breed as possible (eventhough every dogs different but i hope u know what i mean.) I cannot stand people who buys/adopt an animal and then figure out that "hey, this isn't the dog/animal for me" . it would devastate me to get an animal and then figure out that i'm not able to take proper care of it.But my boyfriend and I could probably combine a UK trip to visit some akita owners and see some football haha .
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter