Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Akitas..

Re: Akitas.. 24 Jan 2012 23:28 #2943

Hi & welcome.....I think as long as you have researched all about the breed & actually know what you will be taking on & are happy & commited to giving them a forever home, then go ahead....I've had several different breeds that I rescued over the years & they've all lived a happy long life...I & my daughter researched Akitas, as we both loved the breed & first I fostered one & then I adopted my Maya (she was 2years old).....it took some months for her to settle in, but now it's like she's been with us for years....it was hard work at first as they are a very dominant breed, but so worth it....one thing I would advise you, as you are still being educated, is if you are going to find employment think hard about getting any dog, as you would have to leave it for lengths of time on its own & that's no good for any dog especially an Akita...they love company.....hope your dream of owning an Akita Bear comes true & keep in touch with the forum for any advice & a chat......Pam Maya & Scoobie

Re: Akitas.. 25 Jan 2012 13:39 #2953

• Joomla
  • Trustee
Hi Kristnew
Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time here.
Akitas are not the dogs for everyone and there many first time owners of Akitas. We home check potential new owners to make sure that the home and the people understand what the Akitas are like.
Certainly do your research about Akitas and when you are settled in your new home and have employment then you will be ready to look for the right one for you. As Pam has said, they are best not left most of the day on their own as they will become bored very easily and then will start to chew furniture etc.
If you do come over to England in the future do let us know and perhaps we can organise a walk near where you are staying and you can come along and see all the Akitas together.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Akitas.. 25 Jan 2012 16:59 #2960

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
I think the mistake a first time Akita owner might make is not being able to control a very dominant breed, meaning the dog is difficult to control, destructive or aggressive. Its important to understand the 'alpha role' (being boss). It doesn't mean you cant be kind and affectionate to your dog, just it has to understand you are in charge and there are boundaries.

First time owners of any dog often make the mistake of treating the dog like a furry person, so the animal is too willful, difficult to control and can even dominate the owners.

Akitas are not really like other dogs, they are great characters, challenging, willful, BIG, sometimes hard work, but hugely rewarding if you have the right relationship.

It does need a lot of thought and I'd encourage you to try and meet some Akitas and Akita owners before thinking of getting one.

Re: Akitas.. 25 Jan 2012 17:10 #2961

• Kristinew
  • Bear Puppy
oldclaypaws:

- Yes, i read to it was a very dominant breed so it's to "rule with an iron hand" but still be loving and affectionated. If i ever get an akita i won't treat it like it's a furry person (even though i think alot of people do that when they get a PUPPY because they look so sweet or something like that) - i'm taking care of my cousins Shih zhu and thats a very small breed of dog but i still treat him like i would treat a big dog f.ex i'm not carrying him around (like you see some girls do with chiuauas) i dont treat dogs or animals like they're humans, because then the animal/dog probably wont see you as a leader.

wow, my english is very bad and confusing to read (even to myself) so i hope you can read and understand it

Re: Akitas.. 25 Jan 2012 18:05 #2965

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
You don't need to "rule with a rod", more "rule with lots of bribes and cold stares". They tend to chew all your rods.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Akitas.. 25 Jan 2012 18:12 #2966

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
Akita's easily get bored, so they need either friends to play with, someone to be with, or a well enclosed garden. You can't just go off to work and leave them in the kitchen for 8 hours. Do that and when you come back the fridge will be empty and there will be a large hole through the wall to outside, with no dog.
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter