Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hip Scores

Hip Scores 12 Sep 2011 15:12 #330

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
Did you know, that as a breed American Akita's have one of the best average hip scores, several other big breeds also have good scores, and that some smaller and medium dogs suffer badly?

Here are a few selected figures for more familiar breeds; Hips are scored out of a total score of 106, 53 per hip. I'm told anything over a total of 20 is bad and indicates possible problems later in life.

These are the average figures from all dogs globally tested;

RUBY 6
American Akita 10
Japanese Akita 13
Shiba Inu 10
Bernese mountain 15
Border collie 13
Bull mastiff 26
Doberman 10
Golden Retreiver 18
German sheperd 18
Labrador 14
Newfoundland 26
Rotty 12
Husky 7
Springer Spaniel 18
Clumber Spaniel 35
Pyrenean Mountain 12
Poodle 14
St bernard 21
Boxer 16
King Charles 16
Great Dane 12
Mastiff 18
Otterhound 44
Pointer 11
Sussex spaniel 39
Afghan 9
Beagle 21
Bloodhound 20
Irish Wolfhound 6
Staffy 13
Bulldog 42
Bull Terrier 7
Neapolitan Mastiff 27
Saluki 5
Snauzer 23
Corgi 24

There are another 60+ breeds on my list, but I've picked out the main ones I think are of interest as examples, if anyone wants to know score for another breed, ask.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Hip Scores 13 Sep 2011 06:39 #336

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
You mention these are global figures .... how are the scores translated from the other hip scoring programs? Or is this just from the UK BVA scores?

Re: Hip Scores 13 Sep 2011 08:23 #337

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
This is the global total averages, collated from the national hip score providers, including the BVA (british veternary association). For example, there have been over 1000 tests used to give the Akita figure, so the figures are well researched and statistically valid.

There is also a BVA 5 year average, and a BVA 'median' (most common) figure; these last two are typically slightly lower than the global average. That might be because either the BVA score less strictly, or UK breeders are more vigilant at not mating animals with poor scores, or UK dogs generally have better nutrition than the global average dog (?).

Interesting to see how certain breeds such as Spaniels and Corgis seem to have issues, whereas Great Danes, Wolfhounds and Akitas have good averages. The myth that big dogs have more hip problems seems to be simplistic and not neccesarily true for every breed.

Re: Hip Scores 13 Sep 2011 08:42 #338

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
I should add that how a dog gets its final hip score can be significantly down to the owner and their care of the animal.

According to my vet, only one third of the contributing factors are genetic, another third is nutrition in early life, and another third is down to not over excercising the young dog.

Curiously, Rubes Dad has what I would consider a poorish score of 9+9, even though he's grown into an international champion. Its debatable whether he should have been bred with that score and a relief that Rube is only 6+0. Conversely, if you get a puppy from parents with good hip scores its not absolutely guaranteed you won't run into trouble, its only a loose indicator. Some might even argue its a waste of time?

The Americans dont give the same detail as the BVA, who score several very medical sounding factors and total them up, the Americans simply give a 'good', average, poor, etc.

Re: Hip Scores 13 Sep 2011 09:01 #339

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
Ok, but the europeans score on a A/B/C/D rating, which translate to a range of the UK scores. The numbers shown look like UK scores, the comparison with other rating systems can be seen here:

www.ukbc.co.uk/hipscoring.html

Due to the differing classifications it makes it difficult to do comparisons as the ratings abroad cover a range of UK scores. I just wondered if they had been translated to UK numbers (and if so how) or if we're only looking at the BVA scores?

Re: Hip Scores 13 Sep 2011 12:52 #340

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
The numbers I quoted are actually issued by the BVA as their calculated global average.

Statistics apart, the point is the Akita typically has better hips than most breeds.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter