Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Understanding dog laws

Understanding dog laws 04 Dec 2012 18:39 #7514

• kevinelsmore
  • Calm before the storm
Hi Everbody, After reading many topics on this Akita site we still have some questions and looking for some help and advice, our Akita - Yuki is brilliant with people and children, our problem is with other dogs and owners, Yuki plays with some dogs but not with others, we now keep Yuki on a lead all the time when other dogs are about, some other dogs off the lead will come to Yuki and Yuki will growl and attack some of them but not all will even play with some, some owners then take offence and now some have said Yuki should be muzzled, and one owner says that she will report us! My wife is becoming very upset, Does any body know the actual laws on this, and any advice at all will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Understanding dog laws 04 Dec 2012 20:30 #7516

• Joomla
  • Trustee
Ok Kevin, first off, please dont let Yuki off lead when in a public place, as Yuki could attack another dog and the blame would go straight on the Akita wether the Akita started it or not.
If Yuki is on lead and a dog comes over to her and she does'nt like the dog she will go for it, they do not like to be face to face with other dogs, they see it as threating behavour. It is up to the owner of the off lead dog to control their dogs, not yours. If any owner says they will call the police or report you tell them that is fine and THEY can explain to the police why THEIR dog is off lead.
Yuki will pick who her friends are, and it will probably be more males than bitches.
Those dogs that you know she is ok with please ask them to keep their dogs on lead and come over to her quietly and once they are close and want to play then fine, but Yuki should still be on a long lead or in an enclosed place to be let off lead, if any other dogs want to come and Yuki is not good with them, Yuki goes back on lead and you leave the area. Warn dog owners that Yuki might not be good with their dog and to call their dog back, if they dont or they dont have control of the dog and it still comes over, then any resulting fighting is THEIR fault as they have let a uncontroled dog off lead and they should keep their dog on lead as well as you.
Yuki does not need to be muzzled unless she is so bad and will not except any dog near her. And obviously with humans.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevinelsmore

Re: Understanding dog laws 04 Dec 2012 20:46 #7517

• kevinelsmore
  • Calm before the storm
Thanks Denise, Thats really helpful thank you very much

Re: Understanding dog laws 04 Dec 2012 21:05 #7518

• kevinelsmore
  • Calm before the storm
Another question!
How could i predict (on your expirience) when other dogs are coming to us ,will Yuki be friendly or grumpy with it.? Sometimes she is laying down and waiting sometimes pulling towords it ?

Re: Understanding dog laws 04 Dec 2012 22:17 #7519

• Joomla
  • Trustee
With my boy Shiro, if a dog comes running at him, he will lower his body, as though he is hunting something, and his hackles will come up, i know he will have a go at a dog,

Usually if a dog does not come running and just saunters over stopping to have sniff etc he will tend to be ok with them, but i do not trust 100% he can be a grumpy old git at times !!! I warn every dog owner that he can be funny with dogs and ask them to keep their dog away and once they are on lead i will allow him to go closer till i get a better idea of how he will be, once he has met a dog a couple of times and realise they are not a threat he is usuallu ok.

Re: Understanding dog laws 04 Dec 2012 23:11 #7520

Everything Denise said really, but from my own experience it's about learning what sort of behaviour frmo the other dogs sets Yuki off, Asia is more aggressive towards very livley off leaders, so we just try to avoid all off leaders, she'd okay if a dog just wants to siff noses or bums, she's fine walking by most dogs in the street, except small dogs there;s lots of other things as well but once you get to know what sets hetr off you can avoid it. As for Yuki needing a muzzle well that's nonsence! she's just being a normal dog! all dogs can be a bit nasty at times, but as Denise said as long as she is on a lead she is under control, an off leader isn't, we had an incedent with an off lead greyhound not long ago, Asia was on her lead as always, due to the greyhounds ultra sensitive skin he ended up needing a vet, we paid the fees to keep the peace but the greyhound owners still went to the police! we never heard back from the police though, the rumours are still rife about our "vicious" akita around this small town but we make sure Asia is seen around town and I really stick to her training to make sure people see her as the good girl she is

Just a thought but have you considered doing a Good Citizen Dog trianing course with her? many years ago I did one with my old Benny and my other old cross breed, they both passed an I still use the same training methods with Asia, it's a certificate that carries a lot of weight when it comes to showing that your dog is under control
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter