Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: New Addition

Re: New Addition 15 Jan 2014 21:10 #9390

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
Weighed young Madam today at 12.5 months, and was surprised to find that between 6 months and now she's grown by 1/2 kilo ! Up from 35.5 to 36.

She's not tiny, just in the normal range for a female American Akita. As Mum is massive (56kg) and Dad wasn't small either, I guessed Pearly would be big as well, but she shot up until she was 6 months and then stopped.

She's very happy, intelligent and healthy, eats well and not at all underdeveloped, its just when you put her next to barrel-like Mum, she seems almost a different breed at 2/3 of the size.

It works out quite well as junior is quite pushy and Mum often puts her in her place and is definitely boss. We wouldn't want Mum to feel usurped or threatened, so they have an excellent playful relationship and everyone knows their place.

Its worked out very well and we are a content 1 & 2/3rds Akita household.

Re: New Addition 17 Jan 2014 16:48 #9393

I'm not quite sure what kilograms are in pounds and stones but I'm surprised she didn't get bigger than Rubes `cos she seemd like she was growning like a weed! but it sounds like it's worked out perfect just the right size for mum to put her in her place when needed 15 months is usually that awkward teenage time isn't it how did that go My old Benny was a right proper stinker at that age but he calmed down with some training

How's the pottery doing? did you find a new studio to work from? I do hope so

Any new Pearly and Ruby pics
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: New Addition 17 Jan 2014 17:43 #9396

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
Pearly's 36kg is 79 pounds, or 5 stone 9 lbs. She's looking a bit lanky after moulting and several good brushing sessions, but her new coat will be very pretty. She's not short, just skinny. Maybe in another year she'll fill out and be nearer the weight of our first Akita bitch, Zumi, who was 45kg.

After I was forced to give up my shop by the selfish decision of my landlords to use it as their office, it took a while to get my head round it but seems to be working out OK, thanks. I'm still making pots at home and have other avenues to sell them, galleries and exhibitions.

I'm in my woodland with the hounds for a couple of hours every day and working towards using it as an exhibition venue. Have harvested quite a bit of firewood and walking sticks for pocket money. Also have more time for house projects, and the free time to explore any other projects that appeal. Mrs Paws feeds me and we have no morgage or debt, so we have what we need. Its almost like an early retirement and an agreeable mix of activities. Dogs are getting more walks.

Will do more Pearly picks in the spring when Pearly has her new coat. Her markings are looking really pretty, almost as if they've been painted on, very strong lines and colours. Her white pronounced ruff round her neck makes her look like a Tudor princess.

Re: New Addition 18 Jan 2014 16:39 #9397

Asia is about 48 kilo's so I think that would make her about 6 1/2 stone? but it sounds like Pearly has a lot more filling out to do yet she's still a youngster

I'm glad you're still selling your pots I thought your landlords were very selfish , but then a lot of these "investment" landlords are very selfish, my own sister in law is selling one of her buy to let houses to go traveling for 3 months, the poor tenents will just have to go no tenencey renewal

I love the idea of usin g your woodland as an exhibition venue and the walking sticks sound great, there's a lot of walking stick collectors about apparently I've seen a lot of those large carved mushrooms in gardens, they're made with a chainsaw! you'll have to practice your chainsaw skills and make some mushrooms out of some of your old tree stumps but it's good to hear things are working out for you all

I love the picture of the Pearly Queen what an amazing expression

Re: New Addition 23 Mar 2014 09:09 #9457

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
Here we are at 15 months. A touch of dominance?

Re: New Addition 23 Mar 2014 11:37 #9458

• Hattiesmum
  • Proud and Loud
Ours does that. I just think she is naughty. I took her with me to do a home check to a tiny house and she stood on their dinning room table. The man of the house was holding her at the time. They cancelled the rescue they were after - oh dear. But maybe for the best as they didn't expect that from a dog. But that's akitas for you. Pearl looks great by the way.
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter