Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: New Addition

Re: New Addition 22 Dec 2012 00:05 #7662

• xmuadx
  • Akita Savie
Oh, no! Not more heartache, really sad that this has happened. I don't know how you're coping, I would be so distraught. I hope all is well with Ruby and her precious jewel now. She sounds to be thriving, considering the weight gain.
As for the dominance question re. Mum and daughter living together, sorry , no experience. However we have fostered some young female puppies recently. Kiri, who is just over three years old, quickly ascertained that she was the top of the pecking order, with the female puppy next , then Obi who is one on Sunday. Once that was sorted the puppy was very respectful of her, but there was always a slight undercurrent that something could have kicked off. We are lucky, we are at home all day so can monitor the situation. Let me say too that Kiri is a very laid back girl and shows no animosity towards any other dog or bitch she meets.

Re: New Addition 22 Dec 2012 00:21 #7663

Oh! I've only just seen this! how traumatic! Rubes is a mum bless her! I like the name pearl, I think it suites her as she is a precious pearl, she's surviving against the odds isn't she. It sounds like you've been through a worrying time to say the least, your "breeding" story is a lesson to learn from, but sadly the "bottom hole" breeders don't even consider hip score, setting up good homes, getting a top sire ect. they just hook up with "the bloke up the road oo's got a nifty looking keeta!"

Please keep us updated on your little treasure:)
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: New Addition 22 Dec 2012 14:33 #7664

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
I know several mum and daughter collies that get on fine and one situation where daughter had to be rehomed at 2 years old as she had several serious fights with mum. I know one akita mum daughter pair that went fine until daughter was 2 and then fights started. It depends on the dogs concerned I think.

Re: New Addition 22 Dec 2012 16:08 #7666

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
Hopefully as there are no dogs in our house, the bitches might be less competative. Rubes is quite submissive and obedient with me and does unusual things for an Akita like having very good recall and being able to walk her off the lead (with care). She does what she's told.- Not forgetting she's also an immensely popular 'Pets as Therapy' dog, visiting local care homes, dementia units and hospices- soon to be joined by an apprentice.

19 ounces today.

Re: New Addition 22 Dec 2012 17:14 #7667

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
Puppy, The Movie; Starring Ruby and little 'un.

youtu.be/jxc1yZDa4ao

Re: New Addition 22 Dec 2012 23:22 #7669

Aaaahhhhh that's so sweet, the little pup's spoilt for teat choice isn't she! I think you're going to be lucky and Ruby and little 'un will get along fine, there's no competing with other pups so pup isn't learning about being competitive with other dogs and with Rube being a therapy dog she's patient and tolerent, and as you know the pup learns a lot from mum especially in it's first 12 weeks of life, it will take some work won't won't it but I think everything will be okay When I had my Benny and his cross breed pal Eddie they had some bad fights but it was mostly over food, and when Eddie became old and ill Benny wanted to fight him all the time, so we had them seperate, but up until Eddie got cancer they were best pals and when they did fall out we had a training rutine that re-introduced them
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter