Welcome, Guest

9 week old puppy won't stop nipping!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping!

9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 14 Jan 2013 12:49 #7867

• Sarahgibb
  • Bear Puppy
Hi,
I have a beautiful 9 week old akita who is wonderful but we can't seem to stop her nipping really hard! I know all puppies go through this but when she gets too excited she can be quite hard and leaves lots of marks!! We have tried stepping away and ignoring her like the vet has said but just starts on at your feet instead of your hands! We have also tried giving her a chew toy instead when she gets to rough but to me it feels like we are rewarding her for biting to hard(maybe I'm over thinking it!)
The last three days have been very hard at one point I had to put her in her crate as she just wouldn't listen!
We are used to stubborn dogs as we have a 5 year old husky who wouldn't do a thing you asked when we rescued him 4 & 1/2 years ago but after a few (long) months we had him very well trained but harper is taking being stubborn to a whole new level!?!?
I have read so many different things online but I would love to hear from any akita owners who have had a similar problem.
I have made sure that she knows I'm top dog by making sure that we eat before she does,she's not allowed on the furniture and has to go through the doors after me but she still seems to try to push my buttons! Especially when playing with my children!
If anyone has any suggestions my fingers and I would really appreciate it.
Many Thanks

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 14 Jan 2013 14:08 #7869

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
You do not have a problem, you have a perfectly normal 9 week old Akita and are over-reacting a bit. Give it lots of toys to chew on. A bit early for dominance training, they don't understand too many commands at this age, you'll have to wait at least another couple of weeks. If it bites too hard, say 'Ooow' loudly and whimper like a dog to show it hurts, they'll look surprised and stop.

Are you sure you're patient enough for an Akita? They are a handful when young and it needs loads of love and patience and a certain resilience. You sound as if you have unrealistic expectations of a puppy this age, after all its like trying to teach table manners to a 6 month old child.

You won't acheive anything putting it in a crate. This is where you should be bonding. Try lots of play, affection and work on your patience. If you can't handle it at this stage you might be better off returning it to the breeder and going for a different breed.

(Says he as an Akita puppy chews my foot, all par for the course,)

Good luck !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarahgibb

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 14 Jan 2013 14:11 #7870

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
Sounds like you have a very normal 9 week old puppy there .... think about it from her perspective (as it's the only one she has). Puppies naturally play by using their teeth, she is doing this and being rewarded by you squealing, moving around and being excitable ! Such fun So she does it again, and then you move your feet around so she can chase them This is SUCH good fun !

Unfortunately, you don't see it in the same way. It's nothing at all to do with dominance, nothing to do with pack order (which is largely discredited anyway) and 'showing her who is boss' is unlikely to work in the way you want it to. So ... what to do. Firstly recognise that she WILL chew (and it'll get worse when she starts teething! ) and will play with her teeth. The thing to do is to convince her that it's more fun to play the games that are 'human approved'. This means that she has toys to play tug with, or chase ... you will need to roll, wiggle, move these toys while keeping your feet and enticing bits out of the way so that she learns the games you want her to play. Give her the chew toy BEFORE she gets too rough, give it to her when she first wants to play. Also give her frozen chew toys, a stuffed kong is good, as it frozen carrot, and many other things that can give her something to chew on and keep her busy for a while. Teaching tracking will also tire her mind out.

I have a puppy class that I train and there's a collie pup just started with exactly the same behaviours. She's really responding well to training though so it's just a case of channeling the enthusiasm in the right direction.

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 14 Jan 2013 14:33 #7871

• Sarahgibb
  • Bear Puppy
Thank you for replying, i think your right I am over thinking things! The breeder told me to make sure that I stopped any wrong behaviour quickly so I didn't have problems as she got bigger. I think I will go back to doing things as I did with our last dog and stop worrying so much! We start puppy classes in two weeks and I'm sure once she can go for walks this will calm down I was just worried that I was doing something wrong. Oh and she was only in the crate for a few minutes as I just couldn't keep her away from my sons toes! She has lots of toys but will be getting a kong toy at the weekend!! Many Thanks

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 14 Jan 2013 14:43 #7872

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
What area are you in? Maybe someone can recommend a good local trainer or classes. You do need to educate your puppy in what is and is not acceptable behaviour, but you have to work with the fact she's a dog and find a way to learn to communicate with her and help to educate her.

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 14 Jan 2013 15:51 #7875

• Hattiesmum
  • Proud and Loud
All is normal. I had my girl at 5 weeks and she drove me mad. I had to put boots on to come down in the morning. She was relentless. I cried if she hurt me and turned away but she just thought I was mad and doubled her efforts. You should see my sheep skin jacket and raincoat - in tatters. She would also levitate off the ground to beat me up while on the lead. She never did it to my husband - who just told her NO! I used it to my advantage and would put my hands in her mouth and play with her mouth - so she learn't how much pressure is 'not nice' for us poor humans and she has learn't well. I can give her pills, clean her teeth and feel very safe with my hands in that huge jaw. I am definately her best friend and I guess she thought I was up for a game akita style. She also suddenly stopped doing it and that was that. Phew. So bear with it - it is all part of baby dogs. (ps. I only had her so young as the mum was ill and it was needs must and I have known the breeder for 30 years and was trusted - otherwise 5 weeks is far too young).
Last Edit: 14 Jan 2013 17:28 by Hattiesmum.
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter