Welcome, Guest

9 week old puppy won't stop nipping!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping!

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 14 Jan 2013 16:25 #7877

• Sarahgibb
  • Bear Puppy
I'm so pleased I'm not the only one! Will just have to buy more plasters! But at least(at the moment) she's not eating the furniture!!!!

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 14 Jan 2013 16:53 #7880

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
Its important they have lots of toys and stimulation, or they will eat the sofa. Our late terrorist Zumi ate a chesterfield sofa (reduced in 2 hours to pieces no bigger than 2"), she ate through a 2" thick mahogany door to enlarge the cat flap and get out, and she also shredded a caravan. We came in one afternoon (she was never alone for more than an hour or two when we had regular hospital visits) and she was standing with a palm tree in her mouth, the soil scattered all over the floor, wagging her tail. In hindsight it was really funny.

I seem to remember when any Akita puppy is about 3 months its normal to look as if you are into self harm, with red raw arms covered in scratches and tooth marks.

I recommend buying an extra large tube of savlon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarahgibb

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 14 Jan 2013 16:55 #7882

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
oldclaypaws wrote:
I seem to remember when any Akita puppy is about 3 months its normal to look as if you are into self harm, with red raw arms covered in scratches and tooth marks.

It's actually any puppy .... not specific to Akitas

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 14 Jan 2013 16:59 #7883

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
Indeed, but other breeds tend to leave the flesh on the bone.

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 14 Jan 2013 18:15 #7889

I think when she gets to those puppy classes the other dogs will put her in her place if she tries to teat them as chew toys

When my first akita started chewing the furniture, sofa's, carpets, tables and chairs! anything he could get his teeth on I rubbed garlic on the wooden furniture, he was only chewing the bottom of the chairs and tables, but he was slowley working his way up he hated the taste and soon stopped chewing so I rubbed it on anything solid yep, it did pong a bit but at least I saved my furniture I wonder if you rubbed lemon juice or garlic or both! on your hands and feet your pup will get a nasty taste and stop chewing your fingers and toes?
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarahgibb

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 14 Jan 2013 18:43 #7893

• Sarahgibb
  • Bear Puppy
Thank you, will definitely try the lemon juice, especially on our hands which seem to be the favourite at the moment!
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter