Welcome, Guest

9 week old puppy won't stop nipping!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping!

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 15 Jan 2013 00:21 #7896

• xmuadx
  • Akita Savie
Hi, as everyone has said, all normal behaviour . I will say that I've had a few Akita puppies now and they do seem to nip more than any other puppy I've ever known! Trust me though , they do eventually stop, as long as you keep on and on with the same process when they nip. I have had to do this twenty times in as many minutes, but you must persevere. At one point we had three puppies and I took to wearing body armour! Well, almost! Long sleeves, polo necks , thick socks, high boots, the lot!

As for punishment, that's a no, other than a firm voice. You wouldn't punish a baby , and these are just babies with fur and sharp teeth and claws. Treat her calmly and gently and she will soon realise you are the one she has to please.
Good luck, please let us know how you get on, and can we have more pics please?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarahgibb

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 15 Jan 2013 01:30 #7898

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
Ahah, thats where I've been going wrong. I've got steel reinforced chainsaw gloves and kevlar trousers, but I'd forgotten the thigh length leather booties. Might be able to get some leftover ones from the end of the pantomine season ?

Trouble is those high heels are killers, and they just don't work with the safety helmet and beard, I'm such a fashionista especially when posing with my angle grinder.

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 15 Jan 2013 10:03 #7899

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
[quote="xmuadx" post=7896]Hi, as everyone has said, all normal behaviour . I will say that I've had a few Akita puppies now and they do seem to nip more than any other puppy I've ever known! [quote]

All the Akita puppies I've known haven't been nearly as bad as the GSD or collie pups I've known!

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 15 Jan 2013 12:20 #7901

• Sarahgibb
  • Bear Puppy
I think that was why I was so worried none off our other puppies had ever been like this!!

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 15 Jan 2013 12:56 #7902

• Hattiesmum
  • Proud and Loud
nor mine until the current girl and yet she is most friendly now. I was going mad and thought she would never stop. But they do. We went to puppy parties (our vets arranged them) and that was good as it was a room full of pups all chasing around being pups. Was a bit of worry having the biggest pup tho. but didn't seem to worry the pups.

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 15 Jan 2013 13:59 #7906

• Kirsty
  • Administrator
my baby bear was a nipper too ha ha its just normal behaviour. We persisted at giving her things to chew rather than our hands and anything else she can get hold off little terror.

Just be persistant with her an always ensure she has plenty to do and chew on. playing with her with toys etc will keep her mind off nipping and also help with your bond. They do grow out of it princess tia is laid back now and loves a tickle and knows to keep her teeth to her self.

Hope you find what works for you soon keep us updated and plenty of pics is a must
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter