Welcome, Guest

9 week old puppy won't stop nipping!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping!

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 24 Jul 2013 14:18 #9078

• marie
  • Bear Puppy
One of the best things I have found after 6 dogs and approaching age 60, is to squeal as loud as u can ( men usually complain they feel silly ) and walk away or get up and walk away, their mums and puppy mates do this as im sure u will know, another tip is as they are teething and their gums will be hurting, keep some toys in the freezer and give them these, make doggy ice lollys ( fresh meat stock NOT PROCESSED or bits of chicken in frozen water, or peanut butter, a little in an ice surround, or just ice cubes they love playing with them.

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 24 Jul 2013 21:55 #9079

That's what I've always done when they hear the squeal the look on their faces is priceless but you have to do it loud and meaningful

Along with all your great suggestions Marie frozen carrots woud be soothing too
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 25 Jul 2013 12:26 #9080

• marie
  • Bear Puppy
oh yes carrots, nice one

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 25 Jul 2013 13:29 #9082

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
At the risk of sounding masochistic, mouthing is part of puppy development, its a 'cute' phase, and I don't resent it. Pearly has managed to play a little bit too hard, and succeeded in biting straight through my fingernail into the quick, which hurt like hell. The resulting loud 'Aaaaaarghhhhh', wasn't pretence, and the bloodspot is taking 2 months to grow out of my fingernails. She seemed genuinely shocked that she had hurt me, and came up all cuddly, licking me with ears down that she had hurt me. Very cute.

All part of normal development, as is the chewing furniture, going through the waste bin, chasing the cat, crapping in the car, digging up the flower bed, and biting Mums legs.

Don't you just love them though? Every time she's naughty, you tell them off, but the bond grows. Love Akita puppies. Every destroyed home should have one.

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 25 Jul 2013 14:14 #9083

You forgot to mention pinching bums with their front teeth my old benny never gre out of that one just when you were least expecting it he'd come up beind you and pinch a tiny bit of bum flesh Then there's also the eating of shoes and boots and giving you that "it wasn't me!" look, but being proved very wrong when the bright yelllow sandle strat comes out when he offloads!

I agree with everything you said the tellings off only help with making the bond stronger But never give a speech to them I've heard a lot of people shouting speeches at dogs and puppies about why he/she shouldn`t chew the carpet and how it makes them feel but a well chosen word with a strong tone works wonders For stopping them just before they're about to do something naughty I've always found the words "You Dare!!!" with a long drawn out "Yoooooou!" always works a treat
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: 9 week old puppy won't stop nipping! 26 Jul 2013 15:30 #9085

• Sarahgibb
  • Bear Puppy
I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone that has replied your advice has helped a lot!! Thankfully Harper has stopped the nipping and only mouths your arm when we are five minutes passed her dinner time! She is growing in to a very lovely and friendly girl and we wouldn't be without her!
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter