Welcome, Guest

Please help with Akita puppy advice.............
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Please help with Akita puppy advice.............

Re: Please help with Akita puppy advice............. 10 Mar 2013 20:47 #8353

• lionking
  • Bear Puppy
hi can I feed him adult dog food from month 4 than the puppy food

thanks

Re: Please help with Akita puppy advice............. 10 Mar 2013 23:14 #8354

It's been such a long time since I had a pup and I can't quite remember the feeding rutine, but I think you move onto an "intermediate" food before you go onto full adult If you go to a good "proper" pet shop they will know how long to keep him on puppy food and what to start feeding him next, hopefully someone on here will be able to give you some knowlagable info:)
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Please help with Akita puppy advice............. 11 Mar 2013 11:28 #8357

• xmuadx
  • Akita Savie
Hi, we have been feeding our 14 month bot on Arden Grange large breed puppy food from the age of 8weeks until now. It can be fed until they are 18 months old. He has done very well on this, gained weight steadily and never had one health problem. We also feed our fostered Akita pups on this, all of them have done really well on it. Of course you don't have to feed this brand, but all puppies need to be fed a good quality food in order to receive all the essentials to make them grow at the correct rate.
We have a pup at the moment who was very underweight when we got him 3 weeks ago, he was 10 kilos at aged around 12 weeks, he is now 15 kilos. You should be aiming to see a weight increase of around 1 to 1.5 kilos each week.
Hope this helps you.

Re: Please help with Akita puppy advice............. 11 Mar 2013 12:29 #8359

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
If you have proper KC papers saying he's an Akita, that is about the best guarantee you can have.

I'd ask why you are concerned he might not be an Akita. The only reason to need to guarantee he's 100% Akita is if you are intending to show or breed. If he's say Husky-Akita cross and you just want a much loved pet, meeting the breed standard is less important than his being happy and healthy.

There is quite a variation in Akita appearance, partly because the Akita (like many breeds) has been breed according to Human fashions and whims using both original Asian 'Matagi' or 'Odate' dogs and partly European breeds. The 'American' Akita, aka plain 'Akita' is a hybrid between the smaller 'Japanese Akita' and big European breeds such as Mastiffs and St Bernards. The majority of UK Akitas are the bigger (and more varied) American; they go from really deep chested chunky dogs to quite slim more husky build dogs.

Having a 100% pedigree dog is no guarantee of a superior healthier animal, pure bred dogs can still have health issues, cross breeds can be really fit happy dogs, although they'll never be Crufts champion or produce top price pups.

Just to illustrate the point, my fittest smartest longest lived dog (16) was an Alsatian-Collie-allsorts who cost me £1.35 in Ireland- the price of a pint of Guinness infact. He was a brilliant character.

My three Akitas have cost £750, £1000, and our new pup in effect £3000. They are all quite different in appearance, none of them have all the necessary qualities to be a top show dog (Zumi had short legs, Rubes is the right shape but too dark, Pearl has an undershot jaw) but they'll all be loved to bits. I know they are all 'pure' American Akitas, sometimes if they'd stopped growing at 20 kilos I'd have been quite happy !

Zumi was quite thin until she was about 3, then she filled out to 45kg. Rubes has always been chunky, she was heavier than your fella at the same age and is now 56kg. Pearl is currently about 13 kilos at 12 weeks, she'll also be big.

I'd see how it goes on food; puppy food is rich, if they have it too long they'll start to get 'loose botties'. They should be largely grown and starting to have a % of adult food as they pass a few months. The skeleton should be fully grown by a year, most of the muscle by 18 months, after that its just filling out. I'm expecting to make the switch starting at around 6 months, phased in gradually according to what comes out the other end. Rubes steals what puppy food she can from her little 'un and it doesn't seem to do any harm.

Good luck !
Last Edit: 11 Mar 2013 12:33 by oldclaypaws. Reason: spelling

Re: Please help with Akita puppy advice............. 11 Mar 2013 12:53 #8360

• Joomla
  • Trustee
You do need to feed the puppy foods till at least 10mths, they can at this point be put on to a junior food. The puppy food will have more of the ingredients they need to have, as they have there most growth rate in the first 6mths of their lives then just steady increase in their height for the next 18mths.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Please help with Akita puppy advice............. 11 Mar 2013 14:10 #8362

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
"You should be aiming to see a weight increase of around 1 to 1.5 kilos each week".

Pearl is currently growing at over 2 kg per week, so we must be doing something right. I think it must be all the shoelaces, stolen cat food and fresh blood she keeps draining from my earlobes and fingers !!
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter