Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Chewing

Chewing 13 Mar 2013 18:32 #8395

• Bens Mum
  • Calm before the storm
My Monty is 10 months old tomorrow - bless him!

When we are out at work he eats, sleeps and chews. When I arrive home in the early afternoon, he has chewed the sofa, pouffe, door frame, shoes and jackets. I don't remember my Akita Ben being as destructive. Akitas and dogs in general grow out of the destructive chewing phase, don't they? I ask as his chewing is making me a bit down as the house was tatty before we had Monty, and now is tatty and ratty looking (the house is my boyfriend's not mine).

Re: Chewing 13 Mar 2013 18:50 #8396

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
Sounds like boredom or seperation anxiety. Best solution is don't leave him alone for long periods at all if possible- do you have family or friends nearby who can pop in or 'babysit'?

Next best solution is get up a bit earlier and give him a long walk before going to work.

Following is useful;

www.wikihow.com/Stop-Destructive-Behavior-in-Dogs

Re: Chewing 14 Mar 2013 07:11 #8398

• Bens Mum
  • Calm before the storm
Thank you for the link. It has a lot of good advice.

Monty has a long walk each morning, however, we tend to take the same route to the field where he runs around on his extendable lead. We took him a different route this morning.

We have also put away his toys except for three. We have been leaving the radio on, I don't know if he finds that a little comforting.

Re: Chewing 14 Mar 2013 15:33 #8403

If he is getting a bit anxious about being on his own you can build up his confidence a bit by leaving him for 5 mins then coming home, then if he's been okay carry on with 5 mins for a few more times then do the same with10 mins, do it a few timesa a day until he shows vertually no response when you come back into the home, say nothing to him when you leave, just completly ignore him, and do the same when you come home, if you say stuff to him when you leave or come home he'll see it as "praise and reward" and he's got to see your absence as an everyday normal thing. I know it's very hard but you must also ignore the distruction, act like nothing has happened, I was advised to do this with my Benny, it's because, or so I'm told, that unless you catch the dog in the act of destruction to much time passes and he doesn't remember or know why he's being punisherd, he can just see the attention as some kind of reward that he gets when you come home and he's chewed up the furniture, just clear it up calmly and quietly Another thing I did with my Benny was to leave soemthing laying around on the floor that he wasn't allowed to chew up e.g. a bath towel (he loved to tear things to shreds!) and tell him off as soon as he started to destroy it, I also left him on his own but kept an eye on him through the window and then I'd came straight indoors and catch him in the act of being naughty, I was then able to tell him off while he new what he was being told off for...caught in the act!

I hope some of that helps
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Chewing 14 Mar 2013 15:44 #8405

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
I found the answer that worked for me was pack in your respectable well paid office career job, and do something satisfying but badly paid, where you could have your dogs with you all day. Sorted !!

Always said the best thing about being a potter is I can have my dogs with me, it always stopped any prospect of my going back to a 9-5 job stone dead, I put dogs before career, status and money.

The dogs approve too.

"Skint but happy"

Re: Chewing 14 Mar 2013 18:23 #8406

• Bens Mum
  • Calm before the storm
I cannot afford to give up my part time job yet as I have debts, however, once my debts have been paid off, I will find another part time job and do fewer hours. I too want to take my fur baby to work with me.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter