Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Difference between AA & JA

Difference between AA & JA 29 Mar 2013 11:28 #8491

• Graeme67
  • Bear Puppy
Always wondered how American Akitas ended up with different colours, black masks etc. As I pressumed way the Japanese Akita Inu looks was the way they all started off. Then I came across an article that says they started the way the American Akita is, well colour wise. But the Japanese bred certain traits out to make them what they are today.

Is this the correct story ? Or wrong ?

Also, in temperament is there any difference ? The same guy says the JA is more laid back.

Just got thinking about it the other day.

Re: Difference between AA & JA 29 Mar 2013 19:55 #8496

• Joomla
  • Trustee
I have taken the following from a book done by the Japanese KC.

Akitas were know only to the local population around Odate in the Tohoku District, and by a handful of fanciers, as Odate-Inu or Kazuno-Inu.
Others that where used for hunting in the countryside and mountains were known as Matagi-Inu.

From reading the book, in Ancient times, scrolls show pinto colours in some regions and solid colours in countryside and mountain regions.

There are other considerations as well, as they have had other breeds crossed with them through the ages.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Difference between AA & JA 30 Mar 2013 16:27 #8513

I have heard that the JA are more laid back too.

I love both breeds and personally an Akita to me is an Akita, I love them either way and I don't have a preference between the two!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter