Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Plastic bags

Plastic bags 02 Jun 2013 22:29 #8894

Hi I rescued my Akita 2 years ago shes very loving and has always had a thing for plastic bags, she won't eat or destroy what's in them she just eats the bag :/ she will even try eating the bin bag and has started on my actual bin I was just wondering if this was a normal thing or if she's a little special.

Re: Plastic bags 02 Jun 2013 23:07 #8895

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Hi ChubbaChubbs and welcome to the forum

I must say ive never heard of that before its a new one on me.

I wonder if in her previous home/s she has had to fend for herself and that has led her to associate plastic bags as enjoyable. It would be a little worrying though as they are certainly not a healthy diet

Im sure the other members will have lots of experiences to share with you.

Pictures please
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Plastic bags 02 Jun 2013 23:07 #8896

Hello and welcome to you and your girlie

I don't think it's normal just a little odd but personally I think you should nip it in the bud, eating plastic bags can be very dangerous for her and could cause an internal blockage. To get her out of the "habit" keep all plastic bags out of her reach for as long as you can and eventually she'll get out of her fixation As Teresa said it could be that she scavenged for food from plastic bags before you rescued her and all she needs is to be re-focused away from seeing them as a source of food

Any pics of your special girl
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 02 Jun 2013 23:09 by bensonsmum.

Re: Plastic bags 03 Jun 2013 14:18 #8900

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
I had a quick look online for others who've tales of this; it seems in a majority of cases they 'pass' them through the rear exit without too much worry, but a minority of sad cases seem to have lead to the dogs demise through twisted guts.

Hopefully Akitas are big and most bits of bag would go through, unless they had troughed out on them.

Definetly potentially bad, but not necessarily fatal, but try to nip it in the bud ASAP to be safe.

If Pearl or Rubes eat anything that disagrees (such as a stolen bone) they usually bring it up easily, dogs have a talent for chucking up, its almost a leisure pursuit- they like eating grass followed by a good wretch, charming creatures.

Worst is if they swallow something with a bit of fibre or string, it can come out as a string of sausages. Yuuuuck.

Re: Plastic bags 03 Jun 2013 14:21 #8901

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
BTW, I met a Lady at the vets who had a Collie that swallowed tennis balls.

She was paying off another £50 off the surgery bill, she had quite a way still to go, it had cost £2500 !! Reinforces the benefits of insuring a young daft dog.

Re: Plastic bags 04 Jun 2013 00:08 #8906

Thank you, I'm going to change my bin to a metal one and remove all plastic bags as I really do not want her getting ill. I have been lucky so far that she hasn't which is great but I don't want to risk it.
I would load pictures but doesn't seem to be working :/
Last Edit: 06 Jun 2013 10:52 by chubbachubbs.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter