Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Apparently Overweight

Apparently Overweight 21 Jul 2014 11:10 #9558

• Slightly
  • Bear Puppy
My girl Mitzi who is now two years old had her recent visit to the vets for worming tablets, claws, check up etc. Pretty much every time we go there I am told she is a little over, could do with losing a bit or words to that effect.

Mitzi gets out twice a day, usually we are looking at about an hour of excercise, she free runs as I am lucky enough to live in an area where the only people and animals we meet are dogs she knows and small furries that get into their holes before she has a chance to get them. I feed her once a day on frozen raw and veg, treats are fairly regular but not excessive. To look at her she is well formed, has a very nice taper from chest to waist and if I recall is just under 40kg

Im led to believe that vets are the experts, but I suppose why I am really posting is because I am doubting this, Akita information puts females within the 34-50kg range, the vets advice is based on not being able to feel ribs through a plush double coat and now the heat is here and Mitzi is almost naked after blowing her coat she looks practically anorexic.

So whats your experience with vets and their opinion of Akita weights, should I take the vets advice seriously and put her on a diet or go with my gut which is they dont know much about the breed, I mean my mum is about 5st wet but im guessing I couldnt feel her ribs if she was wrapped in a duvet.

Re: Apparently Overweight 21 Jul 2014 14:54 #9559

• akita1
  • Proud and Loud
Hi, I would take what they say regarding Mitzi,s weight with a pinch of salt I have just had Ben at the vet for his first booster check and at 14 months he is a smidge under 50kg when he was on the scales they made the obvious remarks such as he is a big boy for 14 months but there is not an ounce of fat on him you can feel his ribs and backbone so I am happy! Bill,Zak & Ben.

Re: Apparently Overweight 23 Jul 2014 10:28 #9560

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Hello

40kg doesnt sound overweight for an adult Akita, but it would depend on her build. Do you have a picture?

My Tia is just 34kg so she is quite a slight lady
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Apparently Overweight 23 Jul 2014 10:43 #9561

• Slightly
  • Bear Puppy
Just had a flick through my phone and I have an underwhelming amount of shots that show Mitzi from the side, in any case I woke her up with the squirty bottle, sunbathing in the garden again..

She looks really peeved but I think this shows a healthy profile, looks under to me if anything but undercoat has just finished coming out.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Apparently Overweight 25 Jul 2014 12:35 #9565

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Mitzi certainly doesnt look 40kg. She carries it well. She doesnt look overweight to me, she looks very fit and healthy.

You will know if you think she is chunkying up too much
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Apparently Overweight 01 Aug 2014 14:32 #9568

• Hattiesmum
  • Proud and Loud
She is very slim. Your vet needs glasses or to change the record of 'you dog is over weight' they seem to trot out to us customers.

Mine is 47 kilos and not at all fat.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter