Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Apparently Overweight

Re: Apparently Overweight 01 Aug 2014 23:38 #9570

In my opinion she doesn't need a diet at all! I had the same thing from my vetenary nurse! The nurse rang me after Asia had been to see the vet that morning, the nurse told me in a very acusational manner that my dog was far to heavy, she was 43 kilkos, she told me she need to go down to at least 35 kilos I told her that my asia is a good weight and not at all overweight, but she insisted Asia went on a diet. The thing that wound me up more than anything was that the nurse had only read Asia's notes, she admittted she'd never seen an akita before! she'd never even seen Asia! So I just patronized her and said I'd stop giving her cheese My old London vet told me Asia's best top weight would be around 45 kilos but no more, so that's what I go by, he was a fantastic vet with a vast knowledge of akita's

Judt like you said, the rib feeling thing can't apply to akita's infull coat cos` you can't feel through all that undercoat! Your girl looks perfect to me
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Apparently Overweight 14 Aug 2014 22:19 #9582

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
Akitas range hugely in weight and size, as do people. There's no 'perfect weight', it depends on their build and height.

I have 2 girls, Mum and daughter, and they are both happy, healthy and nicely proportioned, but totally different weights. Rubes has always been huge and broad, she was bigger than the dogs in the litter and is a steady 56kg. Her daughter got to 6 months and then just stopped growing, she's nicely proportioned, not small, but slim, and 38kg, more the build of a husky.

Your girl looks fine, on the slim side if anything. Your vets talking tosh.

Re: Apparently Overweight 15 Aug 2014 10:01 #9583

• Slightly
  • Bear Puppy
Thanks guys for your feedback, I really appreciate it and I am glad that you share my opinion. Im a little bit on the heavy side but I would hate to think I was killing my pet with love and thats how my vet made me feel.

Anyway, I'll keep feeding her up then and I'll post a couple more pics when her coats finished growing back, she already looks like her usual cuddly self.

Thanks again

Re: Apparently Overweight 15 Aug 2014 10:37 #9584

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
IMHO, owners who spend most of the day with their animals know more about their pets than professionals who look at them for 10 minutes and prod them before passing an (or guessing) a medical opinion. I've diagnosed a couple of issues with my cat which were confirmed by tests, but I knew first just by observing him daily over time. (He was eating more, always hungry and losing weight- he had an overactive thyroid, which I correctly guessed). I also was told one of my dogs had a brain tumour and days to live which I refused to believe. They even offered to put him down which I refused, and I asked for second opinions. He actually had no tumour, the episode was caused by a treatable heart condition and he went on happily for another three years to the age of 16 !

I thought it was ironic listening to my vet tell me he'd like to see some weight off my old Akita Zumi, (she had arthritis at 11 and as such wasn't as active as she had been and went to 44kg), this coming from a human who had a rather large spare tyre in his 40's, and had suffered a stroke in his 20's. A bit hypocritical. My other half has had weight issues since being a child, she tries to lose it but does have medical and genetic issues that cause it. Its just the way she is, and doesn't mean she's not a beautiful and happy person, you just have to look at the personality, not the bra size.

Never liked skinny girls anyway, no good at fighting marauding Vikings and the first to go if there's a famine.

Re: Apparently Overweight 15 Aug 2014 22:57 #9585

Looking forward to seeing the pics

Any Rubes and Pearly pics
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter