Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Balls Removed

Balls Removed 27 Oct 2014 20:07 #9691

• LC-Bruno
  • Bear Puppy
Well this is proving to be a real tough few weeks of Akita ownership.

Bruno has had his balls removed and to be honest has turned into a devil!!!! He barks all the time (at night mainly for a few hours after we go to sleep, which is nice)

He has also started to show signs of more aggression and the today I was getting him to sit and down at the edge of the park and he would not go down so I walk away and we did it somewhere else and kept returning to the some place to keep attempting it (I did forget my treats so thats my fault!!)

He then really lost it on the lead and was trying to bite through it and really throwing him self around and trying to run off and throw a tantrum, he was getting caught in the long lead which was a problem as I had to keep trying to put my hands near him and try to get the lead loose, which he did not like and was not going for my hand but was certainly annoyed it was near him.

I got back and went out in the garden and did 10 mins of training with treats and sits, down, stays and come etc which he did well but seemed to be pretty uneasy still.

I really hope this is just a phase because we have a 6 month old babe so could never risk anything, but equally I am not willing to let it get to a stage where I have to make a decision so what is the best way to help him through this phase?

Thanks

Lee

Re: Balls Removed 31 Oct 2014 16:19 #9702

I don't think the de-balling will be the cause of Bruno's unruly behavior, akita's can have quite a tantrum filled adolecents, he's still very young and needs lots of training. When I got my asia she was nearly 2 years old, she'd had little if any training and her behavior was very simular to Bruno's, for reasons I can't go into I couldn't take her to training classes but I'd done a lot of training with my other dogs and I had 2 Good Citizen Dog Certificates, so I put my knowledge into practice, it took a long time and trial and error, but I found that Asia responded best to acalm and softer tone when instructing her, the stern and "meaningful" tone only managed to excite her even more, maybe you could try various tones and responses to train Bruno with? also classes would be great for Bruno if you can get him in quickly before he gets too stuck into learned behavior, maybe he needs a few other dogs to put him in his place, under controled conditions, a few times. Training classes did my first akita Benny a lot of good (he got two certificates) I learned a lot as well

Please be very careful with Bruno and the new baby, personally I would only let him near the baby when he's under complete control, e.g. on a lead, maybe with a harnes, an adolecent akita is very strong and can be a little unpredictable, a babies high pitched cries and jerky movements can spook a dog a bit

Try to astablish a training pattern as soon as possible, be very consistant, most dogs love regular rutines make time to train Bruno every day, 10 min sessions will be okay, you don't want him to get bored, make it fun as well at hisage everyday has to have some training, as a very knowldgable dog trainer (John the dog) said to a friend of mine "nothing is for nothing" dinner only gets given when he sits, high five for a treat ect. consistency, consitency, consistency, once you've got a rutine sorted and your comands and your vocal tones sorted he'll start to settle, fingers crossed But find a good trainer and they will help you get his rutine sorted
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LC-Bruno

Re: Balls Removed 31 Oct 2014 22:08 #9705

• LC-Bruno
  • Bear Puppy
Thanks for the detailed reply much appreciated.

He has actually been to beginners training and passed with a nice certificate and has just started on the intermediate (1 week ago) where he was a bit short on attention span.

Also I do a lot of training with him and I think the fact that his teenage tantrum started at the same time the balls were removed it started to worry me.

This week on all the walks I have taken much more treats and made him work harder on the walks and then we get back we go into the garden and do some more training etc.

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the word routine and it is something I over looked. We went away for a week 2 weeks ago and our friend looked after them and then when we came back 2 days later he was in a head cone for a week and then after that came off was when he started pushing his luck.

This week has been much better and the barking has stopped and as we settle back into the normal routine it is all becoming normal again which is good. I think I over looked the fact so much had changed in 2 weeks and he was probably insecure and barking as when we left the room he was not sure if we were coming back etc (separation anxiety)

Also don't worry about the baby front we have 2 dogs and the baby is 6 months old and we introduced them exactly as you should IMO to the extent that the dogs actually ignore him unless we allow them to come closer and then they are both very good but will never be in a position to be allowed with the little one even when he is 8 years old as if a dog is poked in the eye it would take a very very special dog not to react on instinct for a fraction of a second.

The great thing is both dogs are very protective breads and if someone is in the house and they do not know them and have been put outside, the first thing they do is rush into the house go straight to little Logans play crib to check he is there and then come to us after. Once Bruno has matured I would hope to trust him 100% like all my previous dogs but still would not put the dogs in a position where I have to trust them as it is not fair on them.

I wrote the first post after a stressful day in general and then Bruno topped it off and I will be honest I think as he is bigger than my previous akita puppy at 6 months I am actually expecting too much too soon and forgetting he is so young still.

Lee

Re: Balls Removed 01 Nov 2014 16:22 #9707

• LC-Bruno
  • Bear Puppy
Well got even better today and he was an angel at the intermediate class so all the effort during the week has been worth it and the trainers were so impressed so we both got a gold star

He was really concentrating on me to the extent there were quite a few times where he was completely ignoring other people and dogs only a few feet away and just looking for what I wanted, which we both liked and Bruno had a lot of Chicken / Sausage and pepperoni for his troubles

Re: Balls Removed 04 Nov 2014 11:10 #9709

• malibu2027
  • Akita Savie
Yogi had his removed and we thought he had trouble with his hips as he sat funny. He got his done before we got him ) Hes getting on fine now but i'm thinking sitting was painful it might be the case with your boy. he is grumbley with other dogs and now its dark at night he gets spooked too. but only when I take him out so i think hes in protective mode.

good luck with your boy xxxxxx

Re: Balls Removed 04 Nov 2014 17:20 #9716

Sounds like you and Bruno had a very enjoyable and successful training session it's great when they respond so well isn't it, I'm sure he's going to work out fine you've really got a handle on things and once this awkward adolecent thing moves on and his "naughtyness" eases up you can relax a bit My old Benny's naughty ways lasted only a few months and then he decided he got more out of being a good boy

Hello Dawn Glad to hear Yogi is finding sitting doen a bit easier how's he doing these days?
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter