Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Behaviour

Behaviour 22 Aug 2017 12:55 #27797

Roley is 8 years old and has been with us for 5 weeks now and is our first Akita. We have had many different breeds over 30 years and consider ourselves to be experienced dog people having owned and fostered many over the years.

The rescue we adopted Roley from said he was good with cats and all dogs, however, it's turned out he is not ok cats and is clearly agitated by their presence, will bark at them and give chase which is a problem as we have 3. Unfortunately, for their own safety, we have to ensure they are permanently locked away when we are not at home which is not an ideal situation and not fair on them.

We also had a rather shocking incident last week on a dog walk when I was walking him, my husband was slightly ahead, Roley and I rounded the corner and met a neighbour and her dog pretty much face to face and for no known reason Roley grabbed the little Shih Tzu in his mouth and shook the poor dog like a ragdoll, thankfully the little one was relatively ok (a chunk of fur pulled out and teeth marks around his eye and neck) but we and the owner were shocked by Roley's behaviour. Both dogs were on lead and just passing each other, the Shih Tzu is blind and there was no provocation at all, Roley just lunged at the poor mite. It was dusk and the light was poor, and it could have been that Roley was startled, it all happened so very quickly it's difficult to say, but I'm very concerned that he reacted in such an aggressive manner. This incident has also reinforced my worry around my cats as they would not stand a chance if he got hold of one of them.

I have emailed the rescue we adopted him from 3 times now but have not heard back. I've also engaged the assistance of a professional behaviourist, however the appointment is not until 17th September, so I wondered if anyone here had encountered similar situations and how, if at all, you overcame them?

He is such a loving boy and settled into living in a home very well.

If you would like to know more about Roley's history, please copy and paste the link below into your browser.

www.lutontoday.co.uk/news/akitas-need-a-home-after-death-of-luton-homeless-man-gavin-1-7952813
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter