Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Adoption

Adoption 15 May 2012 14:24 #5146

• Kiki_xo
  • Bear Puppy
Hey everyone!

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum but I have a few questions about adoption.
I was wondering how long it takes generally for a reply after an adoption form is sent?

Also, I have a 9month old daughter. I've applied for an akita inu named Max as he's quite young so I'd like them to grow up together. But I'm not sure if akita welfare would let me adopt a dog with my daughter being 9months old?
She's been around different types of dogs and I've always taught her how to be gentle with animals.

Kind regards

Re: Adoption 15 May 2012 14:44 #5147

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
Hi, and welcome.

Have you filled out an on-line adoption form? This is the best way to contact the rescue as it automatically goes to the right people. The time that it takes to get back to you can vary as everyone is a volunteer and has other jobs etc. that they have to do. There are no full time staff, so please be patient. If you haven't heard within a week, then please get back in contact as your message may have been missed (no-one is perfect).

The best thing to do is to fill in the adoption form with as much information as possible and then speak to someone in person. The rescue work has to be fitted around work unfortunately so it may not be an immediate response.

Re: Adoption 15 May 2012 22:01 #5155

I hope you hear soon Max is a very special young lad (we were hoping to have him, but he was too far away fo us to have a meeting with our Asia) But he sounds like a lively boy and like all young dogs he can get excitable, personally I would think a 9 month old child with an excitable large pup could be a bit "iffy" but once you get a meeting with a rep sorted you'll be able to talk to them about it
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Adoption 16 May 2012 12:08 #5157

• Stephanie
  • Trustee
We have received the application form and informed that we will arrange a home check. There is no set time for this as we rely entirely on volunteers, the majority of which have full time jobs and fit home checks in when they can.

For a young family with a baby, we would recommend a bitch over the age of two who has lived with kids.
We home check first and then match with a suitable Akita. I hope this helps.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Adoption 16 May 2012 13:12 #5159

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
Taking on a young dog (or puppy) is like having another baby, they need a lot of time putting into them in order to educate them (the dog) in what behaviour is expected and required. I would imagine that large amounts of time and attention is something that families with a young baby/child would find difficult to find. An older dog will tend to be less demanding and more happy to fit in around the family (rather than the family fitting in around the dog).

Re: Adoption 19 May 2012 17:11 #5170

• Kiki_xo
  • Bear Puppy
Thanks for all the replies

I've had a talk with my partner and we decided a dog as young as Max may be a little too young for us with having a 9month old daughter. I'm thinking about going for Kia, I'll just have to wait for the home assessment and have a chat about her then
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter