Welcome, Guest

Sheep Chasing
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sheep Chasing

Sheep Chasing 16 Mar 2016 09:35 #10092

• Phil562
  • Bear Puppy
Hi does anyone have any extra advice on how I can get my Akira to stop chasing sheep and other dogs that are running. I have tried everything so far but when she see's a sheep or another dog that is playing she runs after it catches it then nips it or pins it down till the animal submits. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Sheep Chasing 16 Mar 2016 16:06 #10093

Is she on an extending lead? if not then you need to put her on one, most akitas don't do recall so we always recomened keeping them on extending leads or anything simular, definatley not allowing them to be off lead. Most akita's will just keep on running, or getting stuck into whatever they're doing, and they will completly ignore you. My Asia is always on a strong extending lead, it's the same thickness as an ordinary lead, the thinner rope like ones will snap once an akita goes into full flight, so a strong retractable is the way to go. Asia still goes for a swim or a paddle and is able to explore and socialize with other dogs, but she is always under complete control.

Have you done any proper socializing training with your akita? if not it would be a good idea to get into dog training classes if you can, it sounds like she could do with some controled dog socializing before the bad habbits take control, once those bad habits get set in it's hard to change them, now is the time to nip it in the bud. But for now I would suggest you keep her on a long lead at all times.

Good luck with finding some training classes, please let us know how you get on
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Sheep Chasing 21 Mar 2016 19:07 #10096

• Teresa
  • Administrator
One thing to be very cautious about is that the farmer is legally allowed to shoot any dog that is worrying his sheep. The best advice would be to keep her on a lead at all times in public. If she has an extending lead or lunge line she can still experience freedom but will be under your control. Can you not use walkways that avoid sheep/
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter