Welcome, Guest

RabiesalertUK - News - update on rules being broke
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: RabiesalertUK - News - update on rules being broke

Re: RabiesalertUK - News - update on rules being broke 03 Feb 2012 12:21 #3173

• Hattiesmum
  • Proud and Loud
Rabies only affects dogs, cats, ferrets. These are animals that are not normally moved commercially in shape or form and have never been moved commercially into this country. So this highlights the mess this new legislation has unleased.

it is totally out of order to move animals that may be rabies carriers into this country and proves that this change is the law is total rubbish.
Last Edit: 03 Feb 2012 12:23 by Hattiesmum.

Re: RabiesalertUK - News - update on rules being broke 03 Feb 2012 12:31 #3174

I know what you mean Pam, it tears at my heart to know any animals are being cruly treated but at least the dogs in the link I posted are now being cared for and loved
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: RabiesalertUK - News - update on rules being broke 03 Feb 2012 17:03 #3181

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
Hattiesmum wrote:
Rabies only affects dogs, cats, ferrets. These are animals that are not normally moved commercially in shape or form and have never been moved commercially into this country. So this highlights the mess this new legislation has unleased.

But the PETS rules apply to NON commercial movement and I think you're restricted to a maximum of 5 dogs. This implies that commercial or mass movement of dogs comes under different rules. The malamute was effectively smuggled, if the paperwork is not in order then the dog would be refused entry. It's happened frequently when paperwork is filled out incorrectly.

There's a difference between the rules being inadequate and the enforcement and checks being inadequate.

Re: RabiesalertUK - News - update on rules being broke 03 Feb 2012 17:57 #3184

• Hattiesmum
  • Proud and Loud
The rules apply to any dog/cat/ferret arrivng in UK - commercial or otherwise. In whatever quantity. I have just taken advice on this. These animals are - you are correct - in effect being smuggled. The controls this end are not being effective as they are 'possibly' lax.

However, this was not such a problem before the change in rules because of the stringent tests and paper work that was required under the old pet passport system. Plus the added horror of the web sites now springing up advertising dogs of any breed delivered for a set price - from who knows where. As it turned out with the first batch - Bulgaria - a high risk rabies country.
Last Edit: 03 Feb 2012 18:00 by Hattiesmum.

Re: RabiesalertUK - News - update on rules being broke 05 Feb 2012 17:09 #3240

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
Hattiesmum wrote:
However, this was not such a problem before the change in rules because of the stringent tests and paper work that was required under the old pet passport system. Plus the added horror of the web sites now springing up advertising dogs of any breed delivered for a set price - from who knows where. As it turned out with the first batch - Bulgaria - a high risk rabies country.

The process for checks on entry are exactly the same as they were before. The difference being there isn't a 6 month wait following a titre test. Having been through the checks many times (and know lots of other people) I can vouch that if you do the process correctly and there is anything not in line you're refused. Even to the point where a fountain pen had blobbed on one of 3 (identical) signatures and the dog was refused entry until the checks and tick/flea treatment was repeated.

Smuggling dogs in without going through the checks is a different issue, and not one that's new. Buying a pup over the web from anywhere is very risky and a very silly thing to do. It's likely to be a puppy farmed dog no matter where you get it from.

Re: RabiesalertUK - News - update on rules being broke 05 Feb 2012 17:45 #3241

• Hattiesmum
  • Proud and Loud
The checks and requirments are not the same. It is now 21 days from vaccination with no blood test to see if the vaccine has taken. It was 35 days with a blood test before.
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter