Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: First Akita

Re: First Akita 24 Jul 2012 11:31 #5999

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
I wouldn't remove the mat he wee's on ... remember he's a tiny baby who will need to wee frequently. Akita's are naturally very clean and so moving the mat gradually outside is probably more clear to him than taking it away. Remember he will need frequent (at least once an hour) access to this.

I would expect him to be taken out at 12:00, 03:00 and 06:00 until he's at least 12-16 weeks old ... it's not fair to expect him to hold it overnight until then. The fact that he's better with your socks means that he's struggling to adjust to sleeping alone, Tok would fret occasionally for the first few weeks, he was much better knowing I was there. As he got older and more used to being in his crate that decreased and I have NO separation problems as he's confident and not stressed.

I've had my puppies sleep in the same room as me for the first month or 2 (either in the bedroom or I sleep downstairs with them) and the only one who has displayed any separation issues is the rescue who I got at 2 years old and grew up in a kennel .... I have 3 Akita Inus and 1 GSD so most of my experience is with Akitas so I do understand the breed.

Remember, you have a puppy who has been taken away from his family too young and needs reassurance. Does he at least have the company of your bitch at night in the same room? If not then I'd really think about having them in the same room. The more he practices howling the more likely it is he'll continue to do so.

Re: First Akita 24 Jul 2012 11:45 #6000

• Deesimbas
  • Bear Puppy
Yea Jamine are collie x is in same room but she won't sleep in create anymore as she don't need it. I didn't wanna take him till he was older but was a case of if i didn't he could of ended up any were and no doubt resulyt would of been the pound if he had gone to someone with no or little dog experience. I would like him to sleep upstairs as my collie did for a bit but was told not to as he may start to think he's pack leader and no way i want a full grown akita thinking he i. How did you mange this with yours?

I was told to train from day one but thing is poor lad hasn't picked his name up yet.

Re: First Akita 24 Jul 2012 11:54 #6001

As you know, howling is an akita thing, my old Benny was still howling, in excitent or, when we moved to a new house in dissagreement when I went out, as long as he's not in need of something try to ignore it. I know you have to be "firm" with akita's they are very stubborn, but he's still a baby witrh lots of time to learn and as has been mentioned, an older dog is a great teacher. Training classes will really help him to learn that what you say goes, I wouldn`t be too concerned with the training classes being akita only, my old Benny went to a mixed adult and puppy class he was soon put in his place by the older dogs and he managed to get his beginners certificate and a G.C.D. certificate he would have got his intermediate too but his arthritis prevented him from sitting properly persoanlly I think it`s ghreat for them top interact with all breeds, as long as you're well read on how to deal with the akita breed you'll know what's appropriate for you pup, my Benny didn`t respond to treats but Asia is a pig! I did most of my training on her walks, I gave her treats when I needed her to keep her attention on me. I still do it, walking time is still traing time, she then see's it as fun. Yes, You do need to statr how you mean to go on, but I let my Asia go upstairs, but she has to ask, if she doesn`t she gets sent downstairs, she asks by standing at the bottom of the stairs looking very sorry for herself and staring up the stairs, she started this herself and I just responded with a positive reaction, she then learned that if she does this every time she wants to go upstairs she'll get what she wants she gets on the bed when I give the command "Asia up!" if I'm not there to give the command, well she's just like any teenager and gets up anyway!

I found a good way of house training with the pups I've had in the past every time I saw them sitting or hanging around the door to the back garden (where they did their stuff) I took them straight out, let them stay out for a while and try to encourage the "off loading" they soon learned that being near the door meant they could go out, but they only got a treat if they did their toilet stuff

Blimey! I can narf waffle can't I
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: First Akita 24 Jul 2012 12:54 #6003

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
Deesimbas wrote:
Yea Jamine are collie x is in same room but she won't sleep in create anymore as she don't need it. I didn't wanna take him till he was older but was a case of if i didn't he could of ended up any were and no doubt resulyt would of been the pound if he had gone to someone with no or little dog experience. I would like him to sleep upstairs as my collie did for a bit but was told not to as he may start to think he's pack leader and no way i want a full grown akita thinking he i. How did you mange this with yours?

I was told to train from day one but thing is poor lad hasn't picked his name up yet.

I would agree 110% to training from day 1 - but, it needs to be clear, positive, easy training so he can always be successful and learn to enjoy doing things with/for you. Clicker training and trick training are great for building a bond and communication between you. Remember he's a baby and can probably only do 2-3 minutes per session at the moment. He should know his name within a day or 2, say his name and provide a treat, he'll get the connection very fast

I think the decision to sleep upstairs/downstairs is up to you. As a general rule my dogs start off downstairs in a crate. Once they are settled then they can come up if I allow it, the decision on when/if/how often is one that I make and they must abide by without complaint. If they 'assume' they can sleep upstairs then they spend more time downstairs. I think the domestic control and behaviour issues are a lot wider than 'dog is allowed on the bed'. I have a good working relationship with my dogs and they are under control. They also understand what I want from them, confusion is likely to give you more problems than anything else.

Although he's young, circumstances are what they are, but you should adapt what you do to ensure that he can cope with what you ask of him, and remember he can't cope with the same things a well raised 12 week old can. He MUST be taken out in the middle of the night, he's too young to be expected to go 6 hours without a wee break. Inconvenient but part of raising a puppy, it won't last for too long.

Re: First Akita 24 Jul 2012 17:22 #6005

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Tia slept upstairs until she was around 5 months old. Or until she was too heavy to carry down all the time, she was a slow learner with the stairs.
I agree with the other posts you do not need an Akita trainer, you need a good trainer.
When hes eaten he needs to be taken outside. When hes been playing he needs to go out also, and he needs to be taken out when he wakes. So his toilet habits are as often as he does these 3 things, which is all the time lol. Whilst it is tiring, this is also your bonding time so enjoy watching him grow into the beautiful boy you want him to be.
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: First Akita 24 Jul 2012 19:28 #6009

• Deesimbas
  • Bear Puppy
He has done me proud today. I ended up leaving him from about 2 till 8 not meaning to but a trip to a and e with a child had no choice Any way was dreading the return home. Was expecting to walk in and house look like a scene out of Marley and Me as left create open with not knowing when i'd return.but he hadn't chewed a thing and wees on mat but then let him straight out and he did his number twos may be a fluke but still proud. Asked next door about howling they reported lasted at 30mins top but then stopped. . Gonna do the three hr thing.

My collie was fully toilet trained at 8wks but she was reared by me from 2wks as mum wouldn't have ot to do with her andall my other doys when i took them on were already house trained so this is a learning curve and the rescues i worked with new owners did thsi part when they got pup home. Thanks for all the advice its a big help as i've never had an Akita before and if i'm honest had a lot of people say i'm stupid its a dangerous breed ( To me no such thing as dangerous breed) so i'm on a misson with Simba to show them what great loyal loving dogs they are. So its extra vital i get this spot on with him
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter