Welcome, Guest

Can`t get Asia in from the garden!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can`t get Asia in from the garden!

Can`t get Asia in from the garden! 28 Sep 2012 12:39 #6770

Now that the weather is getting colder I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get Asia to enjoy being in the house Sice we moved away from our horrible neighbour in London Asia has really enjoyed being in the garden, in fact she'd stay out day and night if she could! when we were at the London house she hardly went in the garden because she'd been frightened by the neighbours air gun shooting into our garden and his constant banging together of two planks of wood to scare the birds and suirrals off! he was a complete nutter!!! and that's being very, very polite Anyway Asishy Waishy is now showing sighns of arthrits starting up in her front shoulder and ankle and although I put her bed out in the garden for her to lay on she often lays on the cold concrete or wet grass and now that' it's cold and damp I want her inside But when I do eventually get her in she gives me that head hung low looking down her nose look or she just sits with her back to me with her nose pointing towards the kitchen door to the garden, she gives little look backs then looks straight back at the door again if non of this works for her the teddy bear turns up! off she goes! sorts a teddy, looks at me wagging her tail, looks at the garden door........and......yep! I give in! I do try to resist because I know what message I'm giving her, I will resist but I need something to make her see that being indoors is better than being outside, otherwise I'm stuck with the biggest! sulkiest! squeekiest! akita's ever know to man! I know she loves the log fire but it's not cold enough for that yet
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Can`t get Asia in from the garden! 28 Sep 2012 13:41 #6771

• Stephanie
  • Trustee
Hi Pauline. I have the same problem with Anouk. She hates central heating! Also, as it gets dark, the 5 foxes that live next door become active, she runs up and down the garden chasing their sent as they rome about the garden next door and the two at the back. She never gives up following them about. I have to force her to come in and she hates it!! I have not turned the heating on yet and she has already started to ignore me when I call her in.
In summer she comes in to lay on the slate tiles or the slate in front of the fire as it is cool.
I like winter when the heating is off at night. She then actually gets on the bed and snuggles up around my ankles!

Re: Can`t get Asia in from the garden! 28 Sep 2012 14:49 #6772

• Joomla
  • Trustee
I have another one here who loves being outside. I have a small kennel in the yard for him and have a carpet piece in there, Shiro loves it. To get him back in i shut the door as he does'nt like being shut out.
If he gets whingy about being inside, i put the peice of carpet from his kennel in the kitchen and he goes on there.

Re: Can`t get Asia in from the garden! 28 Sep 2012 21:41 #6781

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Tia hates being inside. She loves to lie at the bottom of the drive. Kita used to lie in exactly the same spot.
She plays up when its time to come in and often goes deaf. I sometimes have to open the patio, she always comes in that way. She opens the back door if I shut it too, but she runs off as soon as shes opened it so im up and down until she finally comes in. We have even blackmailed her with treats, but she learnt to snatch and run so she got the treat and still didnt come in grrr.
Does anyone find they are worse for this at night when its much cooler and quieter?
Since she returned from kennels when we had the kitchen done she comes in after the second or third call, not even reluctantly either
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Can`t get Asia in from the garden! 28 Sep 2012 22:57 #6782

Asia always lays in the same spot too!! and she hates central heating! I hope Anuk enjoyed following her foxes tonight Denise, Asia has a garden blanket so I think I'll try your idea and put her garden blanket down indoors

It's amazing how alike they are it must be an akita thing

Re: Can`t get Asia in from the garden! 30 Sep 2012 23:39 #6800

For what it's worth our girl LOVES being outside in the fresh air...Our balcony door is open 24/7 all year round and let me say it's bloody freezing in the winter but....If she's happy..We'll bare it ...just us really!!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter