Welcome, Guest

Doggy biccy recipes for Teresa and anyone else:)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Doggy biccy recipes for Teresa and anyone else:)

Doggy biccy recipes for Teresa and anyone else:) 14 Jun 2013 23:19 #8953

now this is just a rough guide, the amounts can be a bit out and they can be changed.

This is the recipe I just made

aprox 12 oz ground porrage oat flour (I grind porrage oats into flour in a liquidizer) or ordinary plain flour.

a few glugs of olive oil or other oil
1 fre range or barn egg
some grated carrott
2 tablespoons of honey
2 tablespoons of yogart
some grated cheese (about 1 and a half oz)
about half a cup of homemade chichen and veg stock, put this in last and then you can guage how much you need to make a firm dough.

Add the dry stuff first e.g. cheese or carrot or both, I like to do a cheesy biccy batch and a carrot biccy batch, but they do go okay together, the honey can make the dough quite firm so I prefere to make cheesy biccy's and honey biccy's seperate, but you can put honey and cheese together, the ones I've just made had almost everything in them

So, basically you make a dough and then cut the dough ball in half, using one half roll it out and into an even oblong block and cut it into half inch strips to make sticks, roll the other half our very thin and use cookie cutters to make crispy biccy's.

Put onto a tray and cook in the oven at a high heat( I have a fan oven and cook them at full blast checking every 10 mins, they need about 20 mins) or you can use a hallengen oven and cook on 200 for 10 mins at a time) basically just keep checking so's not to burn them, get them browned or just make sure they're nice and firm, put them onto a wrack to cool

Basically the worse cake cook you are the better you can add other stuff your doggy likes such as shredded chicken or meat as long as it's fine enought to get well cooked.

I used to make Asia porrage bits as well, just cook porrage oats with the usual amount of fluid, can be stock with added oil, my porrage would be 1 cup porrage oats, 1 and a half cups water, 1 cup stock, (you can use less fluid to make a firmer porrage) then add some pilchards, cheese or other tasty bits, cook porrage in the microwave till well over cooked and it turns into a solid mass, let it cool then cut it into squares, Asia drawls at her porrage treat

The biccy's last for ages in a biccy barrel but I keep the porrage treats in a container in the fridge
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teresa

Re: Doggy biccy recipes for Teresa and anyone else:) 20 Jun 2013 17:13 #8960

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Pauline, this is the best thank you very much

Not that im excited lol

I love the add a glug, thats exactly how my measurements work. I dont have kitchen scales so I work in cups, drizzels and glugs!

Stephanie has ordered an Akita cookie cutter too so I shall be putting that to good use.

Please post more when you get chance
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Doggy biccy recipes for Teresa and anyone else:) 21 Jun 2013 22:42 #8964

I'm glad your pleased Teresa

I've got a couple more doggy recipes that Asia loves, this is one that she drawls over, but I don't do it often.

Carrot Soooopreeze
A few large carrots sliced into qaurters lengthways, the more carrots you do the better, but you'll have to make a bit more pastry...proberly
1 beaten egg in a cup to use as a stick the pastry together thing.
All the same ingredients that are used for the pastry biccy's but without the honey'cos the honey can make it a bit harder to roll out and a bit more crumbly.

Mix the pastry in the same way as the biccy's but roll it out a bit thinner, lay a carrot quarter on the pastry and cut the pastry to a size that will roll around the carrot and cover all of it, once you've cut the pasrty to size lay the piece of carrot on top of the pastry, in the middle, spread some of the beaten egg all around the edge of the peice of cut out pastry then roll the pastry over the carrot and stick all the edged down so's the carrot is complety covered, do the same with the other carrot quarters and put it on a greased baking tray and cook in a bit over medium oven for roughly 45 mins, until the carrot is sort of softened (part cooked carrots are the healthiest way of eating carrots ) Once they are cooked cool them off on a rack and when they are cooled wrap them in tin foil and keep them in the fridge, the last in the fridge for some time

Now for Porriage Pieces

Basically this is over cooked porrage oats

1 cup of oats
1 and 1/2 cups of chicken and veg stock (homemade)
1 cup water
2 glugs of oil
Tin foil
A chunk of cheese grated or some fish, perhaps sardines or pilchards (you could add cheese and fish together but I prefere to do chey pieces and fish pieces so's Asia has differnt flavours )

Mix the cheese or fish with oats, then add the fluids and give it a good old mix then stick it in the microwave until the porrage has almost set, try 5 mins, stir, another 5 mins then check and maybe stir, maybe a couple more mins, basically your over cooking the porrage, it will continue to firm up as it cools off, you want it firm enough to be able to slice it, rubbery is okay slice it and then cut the slices into square pieces, cover a grill tray rack with tin foil lay the porrage squares out on the tin foil (not touching) and grill on a medium heat until browned, you'll have to turn them to get al the sides browned, you can over cook these, the crispier the better, keep them in the fridge in a container.

I hope I've explained the recipes okay and happy cooking
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teresa

Re: Doggy biccy recipes for Teresa and anyone else:) 22 Jun 2013 15:48 #8968

• stellalgray
  • Administrator
Thought you'd like to know I have just made a batch of the the cheesy, carroty biscuits and Hugo and Pip love them.

I didn't have any yoghurt so used double cream (!!) and think I should have done them a bit thinner as they are a bit doughy and a couple are a bit too brown - still but they seem to be going down a treat. I took the picture about half and hour ago and the tin is already very much depleted!! I have tasted them myself and love the texture the grated carrot gives. Although I used ordinary flour I expect the ground porridge oats would make the texture even better.

Thanks Bensonsmum!!

Stella, Hugo & Pip
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Doggy biccy recipes for Teresa and anyone else:) 22 Jun 2013 18:15 #8969

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Thank you again Pauline. More recipes

I have the weekend off work next week and my lot are off to the F1, so im home alone with the dogs all day Sounds an ideal time to add my cups and glugs and test my culinary skills.

They look fabby Stella, Posh n Becks clearly want to eat them all.

Ill let you know how I get on
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Doggy biccy recipes for Teresa and anyone else:) 22 Jun 2013 22:22 #8970

Ooooo Stella those biccy's look good, Asia would double drawl over them double cream sounds tasty Yes, I roll the pastry as thin as I can get it so's it goes nice firm when they're cooked and "too brown" is a good result, that means they're well cooked I think the ground oats do make the pastry firmer, I use a liquidizer to turn the oats into flour, it only takes a couple of mins Asia can't eat wheat flour so I've not tried it in the biccy mix to see how it differs to the oat flour

Actually I forgot mention the new ingredient to add to the pastry recipe, grated parsnip, Asia loves a chunk of raw parsnip

I love the picture of thewm eating their treats, they certainly look like they're enjoying them, and no additives or suspicious stuff in them at all!

Teresa, if I come up with any new ideas I'll let you know in time for your doggy cooking day and if you think of any new ideas please let me know
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter