Welcome, Guest

Introduction to newborn
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Introduction to newborn

Introduction to newborn 31 Dec 2013 15:06 #9355

• shammas
  • Bear Puppy
a very good afternoon to the lovely people of this awesome site, and best wishes from my wife and I, our expected princess and the lovely Hachi for the new year.

in an attempt to do the right thing and based on the fact that my trust of correct information exclusively lies with you wonderful people, I'd kindly ask for your help and input on this:

My wife and I are having our first child in March (fingers crossed) she will be girl. I'd like to know how you guys dealt with such introductions and what your advice would be, here's is the Data:

Hachi: 1year and 9 months, un-neutered, great temperament, very well trained on basic and intermediate obedience, typical Akita excitement (jumping to greet and skids of happiness) Zero protectiveness over food and toys (worked on that since puppy-hood as we knew he'll be surrounded by kids)

The Family: us three (Me, my wife and Hachi)

Please forgive me if I gave too much info and do not hesitate to ask if more is needed.

my concerns would be obviously Hachi being rough with the baby and my objective is getting through the introduction and transition of the presence and safety of the new member of the pack as soon as possible.

The internet is full of bull***t that I don't trust and I wanna do it right.

Thank you in advance guys.

Re: Introduction to newborn 31 Dec 2013 23:06 #9356

Hello shammas. I've not got much knowledge on babies and akitas, but at Hachi's age his personality and temperment should be mostly established, he sounds like a very nice boy but as with all dogs and new babies please be cautious, as I'm sure you know you should never leave baby alone with Hatchi personally I think dogs are very aware of a baby needing gentleness and so will be gentle with the baby but never take anything for granted, apparently it's the jerky movements that babies and toddlers make than can "disturb" a dog, they are so used to more sort of "flowing" movements that sometimes the little`uns movements can confuse them a bit I think just by watching Hatchi when he's around the baby will give you clues on how to aproach things, maybe have him on his lead when he first meets the baby, apart from the lead giving you control over him, it also helps to give him a sense of security Don't make a big deal out of the baby bing there, treat it as an every day ordinary thing and I'm sure Hatchi will just follow your lead
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Introduction to newborn 03 Jan 2014 16:40 #9358

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Hi Shammas,

Im afraid I am also not experienced at introducing babies and dogs. It has been over 20 years since I had to do anything like that, and things were much different then. We just introduced them and suprvised them together. No fuss was made and it was treated as no big deal.

They do say to bring the babies blanket home first for the dog to sniff and get used to the new smell. Of course, you are aware of the need to never leave the two together alone.

Personally, I would consult a reputable trainer or behaviourist and ask them to help you prepare Hachi for his human sisters arrival.

Please keep us up to date with how you are progressing
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Introduction to newborn 13 Mar 2014 14:42 #9453

• shammas
  • Bear Puppy
Thank you guys

I'll keep you all posted.

Enjoy the weather

Re: Introduction to newborn 05 Apr 2014 20:45 #9465

• shammas
  • Bear Puppy
It took about an hour to get to this.

Re: Introduction to newborn 05 Apr 2014 20:45 #9466

• shammas
  • Bear Puppy
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter