Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: A companion

A companion 24 Mar 2014 16:49 #9460

• Slightly
  • Bear Puppy
Hi guys, its been weighing on my mind for a few months now. My girl is approaching 2 years old and settled in better than I could have ever hoped. Had her since a puppy and she comes everywhere with me even to work. But would she be happier if she had a dog buddy around the place. Not necessarily another Akita, but maybe. I dont think I am ready for another puppy but I maybe could offer a home to an unfortunate adult.

What are your opinions on the matter, I am mindful that I may be turning a quiet home into something more chaotic by bringing another adult dog into the picture. But I may be further enhancing the quality of my dogs life and bringing a light into another dogs life.

Re: A companion 25 Mar 2014 23:44 #9461

just a thought but would you be able to take two dogs to work with you? if not it's going to be hard to leave one behind It sounds like she has a really nice life with you already and maybe she doesn't really need a dog buddy two dogs can be a handful because you have two different personalities to deal with, but if you di go for a rescue buddy at least you'll have an idea of the personality of your chosen dog, and of course there would be a process to go through to make sure the buddy and your girl get on I've had two dogs before and it really is rewarding to see two dogs get on, they can be very funny and extreamly entertaining if you're lucky enough to get it right, I was lucky enough to get two doggy parnerships that worked out as forever friends, and one that started great, but towords the end turned sour and the two of them had to live apart So there's no sure way to know that the dogs will always get on together, and yes, it can be chaotic but the chaos that we experienced with our two dogs was very entertaining but it is very different to having one dog, training the pair will be a necessity because there's different rules needed for a two dog home than a one dog home If you did go for an adult rescue dog you'll do a lot of intro stuff to make sure your girl gets on with her new buddy boy so that's helpful But personally I think if you've got a good relationship going on with your girl she won't really be in a lot of need for a a buddy because she's got her buddy...you!

Please let us know what you decide to do
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: A companion 27 Mar 2014 16:32 #9462

• Slightly
  • Bear Puppy
Thanks for you reply, it kinda sums up whats going on in my head anyway. Could be great, might be catastrophic. Mitzi (my girl) just seems a little withdrawn sometimes, dissapears upstairs for hours and its those times I think maybe she just needs some different company, not mine.

As far as can 2 dogs come to work, I had thought of that and although we can only offer 1 paid position (the boss got a soft spot for Mitzi) he says we can take another volunteer in if they are well behaved

I guess its something I'l just have to mull over some more. It took 20 years to get my own dog, I'm in no rush, maybe I'll just save that space in case we ever come across a boy in need that we both can get along with

Re: A companion 28 Mar 2014 23:27 #9463

I think Mitzi dissapearing upstairs could be an "akita thing" my Asia does it all the time she loves to stink on the bed and always has a daft grin on her face My old Benny before Asia was the same, akita's love their alone time

I think you'll know when the time for a companion is just right, sometimes it's when they get older, a doggy companian can really liven up an older dog I'd love a companion for Asia but I think she's too set in her ways now but like you say, maybe a boy in need will steal your heart and he'll be a great companion for Mitzi
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter