Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: weight

Re: weight 27 Aug 2014 19:45 #9606

• LC-Bruno
  • Bear Puppy
Not really sure on the placid front if I am being honest.

Our reduce Akita from here was far from placid with other animals/dogs and strangers but she had obviously been mistreated at some stage and I also on collection I was advised she had been in a dog fight with another akita in the house and no-one was about so both where in a bad way. Due to this she was very on edge but not actually aggressive other than when scared and then it was scared aggression.

Our short coat was perfect with humans and dogs until he was attacked by an off lead dog and then from that point he as very alert with other dogs and would not tolerate any dominance but with people he knew and animals he knew he was very chilled out.

Bruno has been again great but I have been working away for a few weeks in Spain and on my return whilst walking he has become very protective and barks at people and dogs so I have started going out armed with treats and making him sit and try to pay no attention to other people. It worked 50% of the time tonight so I hope in a few weeks he no longer feels he needs to protect me.

Taking away all the waffle I am not convinced there is much difference and it is still down to the way they are treated and raised. The only difference in my opinion is that the LC do tend to be bigger or at least our 2 have seemed to be (female was 55KG and Bruno will probably be 30KG at 5 months)

Re: weight 29 Aug 2014 23:46 #9607

The treat thing worked perfectly for Asia too, whjen we first got her she lunged at any dog, and sometimes human, passing her. And just like you're doing I got her to sit and then plied her with treats I still give her treats on our walks, she really loves it so I don't want to stop

I spose the placid thing is something that depends on the akita's start in life whether wooly or not, my Asia is a big sloppy girl now
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: weight 19 Sep 2014 20:37 #9630

• LC-Bruno
  • Bear Puppy
Well he is now just over 5.5 months and Bruno is 25 inches tall to the withers and last week is weighed 32KG so I expect this week he will be about 33KG. There is no sign his growth is slowing down

Re: weight 19 Sep 2014 22:43 #9632

He's gonna be a big 'un My old Benny was about 8 stone and he was very tall, I used to be able to scratch his back as we walked along

Re: weight 20 Sep 2014 20:18 #9633

• LC-Bruno
  • Bear Puppy
Yep as expected today he is 33.5KG so no sign of slowing just yet. At this rate at 6 months he will be the size of a large 9 month old lol.

Good thing is he is doing well at the puppy classes and has been great with the family and our 5 month old son. He shows signs of dominance with other dogs (as all akitas do) and has met a few that have growled at him but he has never responded badly other than chilling out, sitting down and the odd bark.

Re: weight 22 Sep 2014 16:33 #9635

He sounds very special has he had a moult yet? there's going to be a lot of dog to comb isn't there and a lot of fur to gather up from the floor
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter