Welcome, Guest

Two male Akita's in the one house?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Two male Akita's in the one house?

Two male Akita's in the one house? 21 Nov 2014 19:27 #9749

• argwt
  • Bear Puppy
Hi,

Would like advise please.

Currently have a male GSD now 13 years old and sadly will not be with us for much longer, devastated.

Our youngest dog is an 18 month Akita and he is brilliant with the GSD, looks up to him and always accepts a telling from him if getting a bit boisterous.

As we adore the Akita we are wondering if it is a good idea to have two male Akita's together.

Thank you.

Re: Two male Akita's in the one house? 22 Nov 2014 00:27 #9750

I'm sorry to hear about your GSD it's a very sad for you

I had a GSD cross with my first akita, they were best freinds until my little GSD became terminally ill and we had to live with them in seperate rooms, it was a very difficult time

From my personal experience of my male akita and male GSD cross I wouldn't have two males together, my GSD had been castrated, but it made no difference to my akita when Eddie the GSD cross became weaker and as Benny my akita matured he competed with Eddie for things he found in the garden, they had a big fight over a mole one day and if a titbit was found on the floor Benny would wade into Eddie, they always made up but we had to be on our toes all the time. They both went to training together and got rossetts and cups but Benny the akita was always dominant. I think two males would be a handfull, a spayed lady akita with your male may be a better combination, the male tends to do as she says because he wants to keep her happy
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Two male Akita's in the one house? 24 Nov 2014 20:07 #9751

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Hi

Akitas are often same sex aggressive so I would recommend getting a female companion for your boy.

I am sorry to hear about your GSD, its awful when we know their time with us is nearing its end. Hugs xx

Please share some pictures of both of hem, we will love to see them.
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Two male Akita's in the one house? 01 Dec 2014 03:04 #9778

• sumo2020
  • Bear Puppy
I have three male akitas living quite happily together. However I have come to believe that this is not usually how it pans out and that I am very lucky to have them living amicably. There has been just one fight when the last arrival put his head into the wrong food bowl. BIG MISTAKE - he got well and truly told off by the middle man and I had to separate them with the sweeping brush and then subject them both to a period of no eye contact/interaction from me, which akitas hate. Ever since life has been good. They respect me as the leader and Maru as my deputy when Im not around. Maru is the smallest of them all but by golly he has presence and when he's fed up of the antics going on with the other two, he lets them know and they scarper ! Maru came from here and what an absolutely fabulous dog he is.

Re: Two male Akita's in the one house? 30 Jan 2016 18:24 #10074

• argwt
  • Bear Puppy
Thank you for the replies and apologies for my lateness.

Our GSD did pass away, so only Kuma now. He gets on sofar with dogs that he meets. Have tried to introduce him to an other Akita(female) sadly she went for him.

So happy we found the Akita breed. Would like to add photos of Kuma with Ice, how is it done.

Re: Two male Akita's in the one house? 31 Jan 2016 00:12 #10077

Oh that's so sad, I'm sorry to hear that your GSD passed away but I'm sure their will an akita companion for your Kuma out there time always finds away of sorting things out doesn't it.

I use dropbox for posting pics, but you can post pics in the reply box by using the "ADD FILE" box at the bottom of the reply page, just click it and follow the prompts I look forward to seeing your pics

Sumo 2020 I remember Maru some pics would be nice
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter