Welcome, Guest

Obedience Training
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Obedience Training

Obedience Training 04 Jun 2015 14:09 #9919

• delve18
  • Bear Puppy
Nellie’s just completed two out of six sessions with me and a professional dog trainer – what a difference!

Recall – 100%

Hysterical jumping on returning home – gone!

Giving up toys on command – 100%

Lunging for strangers and other dogs whilst walking – under control

We’re using the tried and trusted click and reward method which, I have to admit, I didn’t think would have any effect on Nellie’s stubbornness, but I’m pleased to say I was wrong. Obviously the ‘click-and- reward-tricks’ have to be repeated every day for at least an hour, but based on Nellie’s response so far one hour a day of my time is well worth it.
We spent an hour in the park today, the park Nellie believes is her domain, where she’s achieved a tabloid reputation; other dog owners have in the past avoided us like the plague. I was astonished today how by just implementing a few clever distractions she behaved like a pro. Needless to say that via lots of exercise and the repetitious training Nellie is, most of the time, too exhausted to argue.
As far as treats go, according to a BBC Radio 4 programme yesterday, avoid gravy bones, apparently they contain enough fat and salt additives to floor an elephant!
In short, the more effort I put in, the better the rewards – and if Nellie’s happy, that’s good enough for me!

Re: Obedience Training 10 Jun 2015 00:03 #9923

Sounds fantastic well done to you and Nellie I've never used the clicker training thing, but heard s lot about it, I think some tecniqes (my spelling is soooo bad!) suit some dogs and others suit other dogs sounds like you found the perfect training progam for you and Nellie, please keep the updates coming "lunging at strangers and dogs" whilst walking is a tough one to break;)
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Obedience Training 12 Jun 2015 18:51 #9928

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Absolutely brilliant!

You knew it was in there somewhere you just had to find the best method to bring it out of her. Im so pleased she is doing so well.

It is amazing how much of a difference a little time, attention and effort can change a dogs behaviour. A massive well done to you and Nellie x
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter