Bitch long coat hygiene
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bitch long coat hygiene

Bitch long coat hygiene 03 Jul 2016 16:35 #10165

• hep275
  • Bear Puppy
Hi,

haven't posted for a while - but Kimi is still doing well. We've had her nearly nine months now and I have a question. I've never had a bitch before and am wondering whether from a hygiene point of view she should be having her 'lady bits' washed - she is spayed so we dont have to worry about her seasons but I've noticed that her coat around her back end is a bit smelly and 'sticky'. Just wondering what anyone else does who owns a long haired bitch..... Thanks, Helen

Re: Bitch long coat hygiene 03 Jul 2016 23:12 #10166

I think our lady dogs tend to clean their "lady bits" themselves, well I know my Asia does , but a little dip in a river or pond or as in Asia's case, a sit in a puddle does a good clean up job,. "Smelly" and "sticky" sounds like a vet check might be needed though, my Asia has never had that problem so it might be an infection.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Bitch long coat hygiene 07 Jul 2016 18:05 #10168

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Good to hear Kimi is settling well

Tia is long coated, she pretty much keeps herself clean. I havent bathed her in 2-3 years now, but im groom her often. If you think she is getting dirty then give her a bath. If her back end is smelly, then it may be worth getting her anal glands checked out, a fishy or metallic smell can be a sign of them needing to be emptied x
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter