Welcome, Guest

Whats best for stiff joints
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Whats best for stiff joints

Re: Whats best for stiff joints 24 Feb 2012 15:56 #3808

• akitaboy
  • Bear Puppy
Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM. Green lipped mussel. Fish Oil but not Cod Liver Oil as this is far too rich.

Re: Whats best for stiff joints 02 Mar 2012 13:27 #3909

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
Whether supplements have a clinical proven benefit it quite debatable. I've had two very elderly dogs, a sixteen year old Alsatian-Collie and a twelve year old Akita. Both were very creaky.

Our vet prescribed METACAM, which is a liquid you put on their food. I gave them about a third of the recommended doses (otherwise they had botty burbs), but the transformation was remarkable and it extended their active life by years. They went from crippled to puppies within a couple of hours of the medication. Can't recommend it enough, and cost of a low dose on an Akita will work out at around £10 / month. Try it. Ferg and Zumi pictured below;

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Whats best for stiff joints 02 Mar 2012 16:03 #3911

I love the picture

My old Benny had Metacam in the later months of his life, he was on rymadyl (samne sort of thing as metacam but can have more side effects) from the age of two for arthritis and it changed his life, he went from struggling to get up to zoomying around the garden, the chondroitin/glucosamine also helped him.

But as his health took a turn for the worse (bone cancer) the vet changed him to metacam because it was easier and safer on a hght dose, it was also better for his tummy, we gave it to him by squirting it through a surindge (how the flip do you spell that! ) onto his tongue, it does need regular vet checks though, Benny had two or three vet checks a year for his arthritis and medication, but when he had the cancer he was checked almost every week.

Re: Whats best for stiff joints 02 Mar 2012 23:53 #3939

Syringe ..just for you Pauline .....Pam Maya & Scoobie

Re: Whats best for stiff joints 03 Mar 2012 00:03 #3940

Thank you Pam

Re: Whats best for stiff joints 03 Mar 2012 10:57 #3941

Awww bless poor Benny, and so glad everything is going good for the stiff joints for gucci!!!!

Hope things are still going good, let us know how your all doing?

Jessica and the gang.
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter