Welcome, Guest

Why do they eat poo?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why do they eat poo?

Why do they eat poo? 19 Oct 2011 18:15 #1348

• nickandpip@uwclub.net
Kira has started eating her own poo!

I have done some research and have learnt there are several trigger factors. These being, a parasite infestation, poor diet, not fed regularly or given enough food, anxiety/separation, boredom or have been punished for defacating indoors and have cleared up after themselves. I have eliminated all of these save for the parasite infestation, but she has been wormed in the last week.

Kira has shown no interest in any other animals facaes and we have two cats. We have weighed her today and she has gained 7lbs in 10 days. So shouldn't she have lost weight if she had a parasite? Our garden is skipped out daily and there is no reason for her to feel she should clean up after herself. Her food is completely balanced and is 100 percent additive free, she is fed a complete dry food with rice/herbs/chicken for a bit of moisture, she loves it.

My only other idea would be how she was looked after previously and if there was an issue there.

All ideas gratefully received.
Pip

Re: Why do they eat poo? 19 Oct 2011 18:57 #1349

• Joomla
  • Trustee
I think it is from her previous life Pip, she has probably cleaned up after the other dogs in the house i know the rep who assessed her was not impressed with the cleanlyness of the house, with the other dogs, when she went to assess her.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Why do they eat poo? 19 Oct 2011 19:00 #1350

• malakita
  • Calm before the storm
To much protine can also make them want to eat their own poo. Most cat foods have a high protine diet and alot of huskies and mals will go through the cat litter tray to eat it. Not heard any akitas doing it, but alot of other breeds of dogs have done this to. Maybe check it is balanced. You know the saying, to much of a good thing can be bad for you. Just out of curiosity what food is she on?

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Michelle

Re: Why do they eat poo? 19 Oct 2011 19:03 #1351

• nickandpip@uwclub.net
Thanks Denise, that does help. She has only done it today but want to nip it in the bud. She is very sensitive so dont want to make too much of an issue of it, especially if she was chastised for it before. Any info the rep may have on her would help, maybe you could ask her for me and send me it privately. Thank you again Denise.

Re: Why do they eat poo? 19 Oct 2011 19:07 #1352

• nickandpip@uwclub.net
Thanks. Our cats go outside and have never soiled in the house. She's only done it today and Denise has just sent me messge that she may have been cleaning up after the other animals in her previous home. Poor thing. Will check the ingredients again on her food, it is pretty good tho. Although I have only caught her once doing this want to nip in bud. Vet check at end of month so will chat with them to. Thanks again.

Re: Why do they eat poo? 19 Oct 2011 19:13 #1353

• malakita
  • Calm before the storm
Yeah no probem Heard aot of other dogs did eat their own pooh, was down to to much protine, but as Denise says she may just be clearing up after herself. x
Michelle
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter