Welcome, Guest

For those thinking of feeding raw foods
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: For those thinking of feeding raw foods

For those thinking of feeding raw foods 29 Nov 2011 21:56 #2047

• Joomla
  • Trustee
I thought i would post this up, as more people are feeding the raw diet these days.

www.barfpetfoods.co.uk
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: For those thinking of feeding raw foods 29 Nov 2011 23:01 #2048

My daughter & I went into the raw diet for dogs earlier this year & started our dogs on it.....yes they absolutely loved it & I was so surprised that Scoobie chewed on raw bones, as he won't eat dried biscuits & food....but we suddenly saw the dog's moods were changing & aggression was creeping in ....as you know Denise all our dogs are very chilled out, happy & playful....we put it down to the diet & took them off it....they're back to normal now. ...whether it was the diet I just don't know....we did research it well & there was no mention of change of character....so be warned before you embark on a raw diet for your dogs that this could happen to them...it was such a shame as it seemed such a great natural idea ......Pam Maya & Scoobie

Re: For those thinking of feeding raw foods 01 Dec 2011 07:50 #2074

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
I don't know about increase in agression, but you do need to be aware that they probably view the raw food more valuable than kibble. This could cause an increased defensiveness if they feel they may lose the food. With my dogs (and I have one who has been food agressive since a puppy) when we switched to raw we made sure that they were separated when fed (which I do anyway). Initially there was more defensive behaviour around the larger bones, but this subsided as they realised that they got bones regularly and that they won't be taken away. I now have a lot less agression around bones than we used to have when bones were a bigger treat.

As for moods they are actually improved, and the dogs have more energy and stamina on raw food than they did on kibble.

Re: For those thinking of feeding raw foods 01 Dec 2011 12:18 #2075

I'm affraid I'm not big on raw food, it's just something my dad said many, many years ago, he used to breed bull mastifs when he was young (bear in mind this was yonks ago! ) and he said he would never feed them or any other dog raw meat because it "gave them a taste for blood" I spose that`s always stuck in my mind and I don`t feed raw to Asia, I cook all her lamb and chicken, but I also give her all the juices and stew the bones to add to cook her veggy doggy stew in, so she gets a good balance of meat juices

Re: For those thinking of feeding raw foods 01 Dec 2011 22:42 #2078

It's very hard to explain but it wasn't when the dogs were being fed that the aggression was coming out, but just in general...we all know our dogs.. likes, dislikes, what makes them happy & what they don't like etc ...just noticed a change in them...they weren't their normal happy go lucky selfs...I know raw is better for them, as in their natural habitat.. before humans intervened ..they survived very well ...their digestive system is geared for raw meats & veg...but dogs are not wild anymore!!...We did try!!
What your dad said Pauline about them getting the taste for blood, I've heard that before & when we started on the raw diet, that was in the back of my mind!...like I said we tried ....Pam Maya & Scoobie

Re: For those thinking of feeding raw foods 02 Dec 2011 10:39 #2080

• venus
  • Trustee
bensonsmum wrote:
"gave them a taste for blood"

this is another one of those things that we hear all the time, i've just swapped vets because i'm so sick of our old one moaning about the girls diet and claiming i'm setting myself up for turning my dogs aggressive. people have successfully fed raw diets for years with no aggression issues. someone on a forum recently put if raw feeding made dogs blood thirsty then women all over the world would been been attacked when they have their menstrual cycle.
like kate says there maybe an increase in resource guarding but only because they now have something that they think is worth guarding. nothing highly priced about small lumps of round dry hard taseless food as far as my girls are concerned, but give them a rack of lamb ribs and we'd have all out war if i left them together.
as for an increase in general aggression i have to say that both my dogs are way more chilled than they where on kibble diets, the difference in coat quality is amazing, venus never had a good coat not even what you could call a proper akita coat but now she does. we have less shedding aswell.
i also have to say thats its costing me a hell of a lot less to feed them as well. even with me buying a beef heart every week which is their biggest food expense at the moment of a massive £3.50 a week lol and something i don't really have to buy but both girls love it. that does them 2 meals each a week. plus some left over to make training treats.
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter