Welcome, Guest

Hypothyroidism Query
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hypothyroidism Query

Hypothyroidism Query 10 Jan 2012 17:08 #2603

• akita1
  • Proud and Loud
Hi all,as the topic says really has anyone any knowledge or experience of Hypothyroidism ? The symptoms are as follows Zak is losing the hair on his tail quite badly it has turned dark in colour and is very brittle to the touch i also noticed tonight when i brushed him that he has developed a fair size bald patch on his tail and you can see the tip of the tail at the end he also seems sometimes to be a bit lethargic,he is always ready and willing for his walks but after a while he seems to lose interest at first i put this down to his age as he is the wrong side of ten also his once beautiful tail now seems to spend more time down than up but looking back my previous boy did not show any of these symptoms and he was twelve any help would be greatly appreciated before i start throwing money at the vet! Bill&Zak.

Re: Hypothyroidism Query 10 Jan 2012 17:44 #2604

• Joomla
  • Trustee
Yes Bill, i have had a bitch with hypo thyroid, she suffered sever loss of coat, and also had siezures it was that bad.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Try baby oil on his coat, this will keep his skin from drying out and help his coat re-grow.
He needs a thyroid test done, ask your vet for a FULL PANEL thyroid test, this will also include a test to see if it is auto-Immune related.
If it is that Zak needs to go on Thyroxin, the vet will probably tell you to give his dose once a day, i would recommend that you split the dose in half and give 2 doses at 12hr intervels.
If i remember correctly the test was not cheap and cost me about £120.00

Re: Hypothyroidism Query 10 Jan 2012 17:49 #2605

• Stephanie
  • Trustee
Hi Bill
Once you have a prescription that manages it, stop buying it from the vet and purchase anything he needs from an online vets supplier like vet prescriptions as it is much more affordable. I hope Zak is wagging comfortably again in the near future. Please keep us posted.might be an idea to add cod liver oil to his diet as well as the baby oil on the tail?
S
X

Re: Hypothyroidism Query 10 Jan 2012 18:04 #2606

• akita1
  • Proud and Loud
Thanks for the prompt replies,The pics of the tail look very much like Zaks tail if anything Zaks seems to be a little worse,I am going to register him at a different vets in the morning as the vets i am with at present seem to be too big to care in my opinion i pointed this problem with his tail out last visit but got no suggestions only that they could take a hair sample and send it for testing I am going to try a smaller more local practice (might be a bit cheaper!) Thanks again Bill&Zak.

Re: Hypothyroidism Query 10 Jan 2012 18:07 #2607

• Hattiesmum
  • Proud and Loud
Hello - I can't believe I read this - yes my girl aged 2 and half is having the same problems. Last May she went to the groomer for a bath and strip and came back looking like she had shaving stubble for fur. Her tail was like a pip cleaner and her ears were pink and brittle. The groomer was distressed - she could not understand what had happened - the fur just kept coming.

I left it for a while as I thought maybe she was one of those akitas that moult/blow big time and then get coat back fine eventually. But she got worse. Her tail had bald bits on it and looked like a rat and her fur was brittle and snapped off if you groomed her.

I took her to the vet and was instantly told it was because I don't flea her and she had ear mites. I know she did not have ear mites and had this confirmed by the groomer. I insisted on a thyroid test (they do 3 tests). The vet did not want to do it as she said this was something a long way down the line and not instantly something that sprung to mind. I was not having that as my husband had spent 5 years suffering from a serious thyroid disorder and it took me and a ambulance driver to get him sorted out. The tests came back spot on - she was not suffering from thyroid problems. I even spoke to Denise about it - I have had 5 akitas and handled many others and I know what they should look like.

I managed to get her ears back in good condition by cleaning them an doiling them with neem oil or johobo oil every other day.

Went to another vet - who instantly said it looked like a thyroid disorder but because her tests had come back negative said she should see a dermatologist. Not happy about that as it meant she had to stay for the day at a vet hopsital I don't know in another town about a hour and half away at great expense. So - I went back to 1st vet practice and insisted on seeing the boss.

Told him the whole sorry tale plus the fact she stinks of hot fat. All part of the thyroid symptoms it seems. He instanly said it was hormonal and did another thyroid test this time 5 tests as there are different variants of the condition and it can hide from tests. We await the results. If it is not that he will do other hormone tests and if that fails it is off to Bristol Vet school at the university.

But and this is very important, her grand mother was a very famous show dog and when she had her first season this happened to her and it was a 'stressed tyhroid' and was cured and went on to be a top dog and beautiful. I have had two of her pups, they were fine as it can be passed on, and a grand daughter, Hattie who seems to be looking and smelling the same as granny did all those years ago.

This is all costing a lot - but I hope the insurance will pay - they say they will. We are in the mean time having some food suppliments and a skin conditioner to help her fur. Viacutan on her food and Allerdern on on her back as a 'spot on'.

She does sleep a lot but is otherwise OK. Thyroid I have found from my experience with husband is a tricky thing to get sorted out but once they do confirm that what it is then the treatment is simple and cheap. A few tablets a day. The poodle over the road has it and is fine.

So if you get your dog tested and if it shows up then it is easy and cheap from then on in. Good luck. and ps. yes Hattie does keep her once beautiful tail down a lot.
Last Edit: 10 Jan 2012 18:18 by Hattiesmum.

Re: Hypothyroidism Query 16 Jan 2012 14:47 #2739

• Hattiesmum
  • Proud and Loud
the 5 thyroid tests came back for Hattie and all are perfect. \vet at a loss - so now on a special diet to see if she has any alergies. She does look a bit better - no more pink tail. But still wrong unless she was a Ridge back or some other short haired dog.

Any news on yours yet?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter