Welcome, Guest

Hypothyroidism Query
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hypothyroidism Query

Re: Hypothyroidism Query 16 Jan 2012 16:02 #2751

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
My akita is hypothyroid. The best way to diagnose is to send the serum to Jean Dodds (Haemopet) as it doesn't cost me any more to do this and you get a more comprehensive test and the results are commented on by the worldwide expert on thyroid disorders in dogs. I think I paid £55 for the test last year.

Once diagnosed the treatment is simple and fairly cheap.

Re: Hypothyroidism Query 17 Jan 2012 11:03 #2782

• Hattiesmum
  • Proud and Loud
Thanks for that. I have heard of jean Dodds and will take the print out of her pages to vets this afternoon and ask questions. Hattie has had two lots of tests and two vets. The second was a very complex one and still it is negative. They now want her to go on some special diet and then do more tests.

Having lived all through this with my husband - regardless of all his family without exception on his mothers side were thyroid cases of one sort or another (so you can imagine what a motley crew they looked like - fat sluggish ones, one with eyes on stalks that wanted a fight and as skinny as sticks etc) the doctors insisted he was 'just depressed'. He endded up in hospital with NO thyroid at all as it had ripped its self to bits while the GP's argued about his condition. So you can imagine how fed up I am now with my poor dog.

Re: Hypothyroidism Query 18 Jan 2012 20:48 #2795

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
Hattiesmum wrote:
Thanks for that. I have heard of jean Dodds and will take the print out of her pages to vets this afternoon and ask questions. Hattie has had two lots of tests and two vets. The second was a very complex one and still it is negative. They now want her to go on some special diet and then do more tests.

It could be there's not a thyroid problem. That's why I prefer to go to the best possible test first as (1) it costs me no more and (2) an Ok from Jean Dodds is a definate Ok, there is no-one better to go to.

There are a number of other things it could be so if you';re happy it's not thyroid then that they would be the next things to look at. .
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter