Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Spaying

Spaying 04 Feb 2012 20:35 #3223

• Nicky43
  • Teenage Rampager
We are going to get our lovely girl Ruby spayed soon, she is in season at the moment and is 2 1/2 well just over that, Im so worried about her having the operation and any side effects from drugs etc, our vet wants to wait until a month or so after her season finishes before doing the operation, has anyone got any tips for me or things I should ask the vet beforehand, I know I might seem over anxious but Ruby is so very precious (as all our bears are)

Re: Spaying 04 Feb 2012 20:48 #3224

• Joomla
  • Trustee
I am sure Ruby will be fine, i have been through this 4 times now, some do take a day longer to get rid of the anestetic out of their bodies, but you will find that they will be very sleepy and whiney when they come back from the vets, they should sleep quiet well during the night and be more back to themselves the next day, though could still be a bit slugidh and clingy. The next day they will be back to their usual selves and you then have to try and keep them quiet till the stiches come out 10days later !!!
Try not to stress to much before hand as they will sense something is wrong and might get a bit upset. The vet will give them a check up before they are put under, and if he has any concerns, will not go through with the op.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nicky43

Re: Spaying 04 Feb 2012 20:51 #3225

• Nicky43
  • Teenage Rampager
Gosh, four times! how did you survive lol

Re: Spaying 04 Feb 2012 23:37 #3231

Hi....I know just how you're feeling.....my Maya was speyed 3 weeks ago & I was so anxious about it ....I've put the op off for 2yrs & because my son & his full male Rottie are staying with us I had to have her done ....I can keep Scoobie off her when she's in season, but not a 60kl Rottie!!!!.....Maya is 4yrs old & I was worried about the effect of the anesthetic on her too...like Denise said, they are very groggy on the first night & keep on making crying noises(nearly breaks your heart )....I stayed downstairs on the settee the first two nights(she comes upstairs at bedtime on her futon or my bed)as they have to be kept quiet & no jumping up or climbing on to anything...the second day she was jumping onto the settee(when my back was turned!!) & the third day she was back to normal & it was a devil trying to keep her calm!!....had to put a childs gate up to keep her away from Sunny, as they do nothing but playfight....so take it from one who has just gone through it all go ahead ....you will still worry until it's all over, but that's normal from a loving ower .....Pam Maya & Scoobie

Re: Spaying 04 Jun 2012 08:13 #5424

• kevinelsmore
  • Calm before the storm
Just had Yuki done on Friday, slept the day after but she is fine

Re: Spaying 04 Jun 2012 09:05 #5425

• Nicky43
  • Teenage Rampager
We finally had Ruby spayed in may she is fully recovered now and I'm so glad its all over and done with, the vet told us not to walk her for 3 days but she was so desperate to go out we walked her just round the block gently for about 10 mins and that seemed to keep her happy and she didnt worry the wound at all so did not need a cone on her, I'm so proud of her.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter