Welcome, Guest

Food for thought...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Food for thought...

Food for thought... 14 Mar 2012 19:36 #4042

• XenaW
  • Calm before the storm
Hi All, hope this doesn't sound silly but Koko is nearly 19 weeks and has been on Burns puupy food since we got her and we've kept her on it planning to change at about 5 months. She's doin well on it and is growing well, reduced her to three feeds a few weeks ago and will soon reduce to two as she doesn't seem as hungry. Her stools can be a little soft at times and ideally I'd like these to be hard. Do you think its time to change / reduce food and if so what do you recommend? I know every dog is different but thought I'd get a bit of a concensus. Both our assessor and the lady at the RSPA actually recommended Chappies which I know some may poo poo but wondered if anyone used it. I quite like the dry food though and know that it will take her a while to settle with a change but any advice welcome........

Ps she's doing great, has defo found her feet.....all the way up the stairs and today actually inside one of my garden pots and after shedding a fair amount over the rug she's now trying out her teeth on everything from door wedges to my trainers....

xx

Re: Food for thought... 14 Mar 2012 19:53 #4047

• xmuadx
  • Akita Savie
Hi
So pleased that Koko is doing so well, she seems to be a little monkey!
I know Kiri is not a puppy but she has been on Burns since we got her a year ago, because we were told it was good. Her stools have always been runny( and isn't it embarrassing trying to pick them up?), so we have gradually cut the Burns down and she is now on Arden grange. What a difference this has made! It's early days still but shes now nice and solid! Her coat is also better.
A few people have mentioned the Chappie, Kiri won't touch it but it's worth trying, so what if it's cheap! As long as they like it and it gives them what they need. More money for treats!
The following user(s) said Thank You: XenaW

Re: Food for thought... 14 Mar 2012 20:04 #4049

• XenaW
  • Calm before the storm
Thanks for such a quick and helpful reply Yes its really embarrassing! So glad someone understands! I'm there with my bags but I can only do so much......and she will deposit right in the middle of the pavement We'll definitely try Arden Grange, still have a huge bag of Burns so will reduce and mix and match in a few weeks so hopefully I shall be spared my blushes in the future!

May look at Chappies too although she may not be keen, seems to have a taste for my Chicken though

Re: Food for thought... 15 Mar 2012 08:10 #4057

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
I wouldn't feed chappie to any dog. It's mostly fillers and little actual meat. As far as kibble goes. Bob and lush, orijen or or royal canin are probably the best. You do need to be aware of pano if you notice any lameness until about 18 months as this and skin problems are the most common symptoms of imbalances in the kibble. Cheap food can result in expensive vet bills ...

Re: Food for thought... 15 Mar 2012 13:02 #4060

• lisankira
  • Bear Puppy
hi, we used to feed burns puppy to kira and her stools were loose. changed over to burns lamb & rice and stools firmed up great. she was sensitive to chicken. have kept her on lamb & rice various brands and she is doing great. it might help to try this. now feeding her vitalin sensitive lamb & rice
lisa

Re: Food for thought... 15 Mar 2012 17:57 #4064

• Foggy
  • Teenage Rampager
As for mopping up the poo .....
Take a tour of the pound shops etc. and look what plastic bags they use , look for the think strong ones , buy a couple of 100 packs .
Makes poop mopping a lot easier and ermmmm fingernails are errr.... you get the idea
Some might hail the "green" non bio-degradable , but until they make a purpose dog poo bag that is not of such thin material (and clearly a sideline from the main selling product (off cut) , then I would prefer to do a better cleaning job and maintain public health .

Believe it or not , I even carry a lot of kitchen roll or tissues in my coat pocket , Akitas have that errmmm ( a theme is developing here I sense) ermmm "pot towel holder" on the rear end , I find that sometimes that needs a quick wipe (better than over the house!) and if loose output , then can use to wipe up if a deposit is made in other than grass .
It felt embarrassing at first but now I don't care one jot , even in town centres .
In fact I was cleaning the towel holder one day and I looked up and there was this rather attractive lady watching me the whole time . I asked if she was filming on her phone and if was I to be YouTube sensation , she replied "no , I am the same , it's like looking after a baby sometimes" ROFL .
So crack on with it , a happy well looked after doggy is what counts , and is both a credit and gift to the owner
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter