Welcome, Guest

Sickening Feeling
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Sickening Feeling

Re: Sickening Feeling 14 Apr 2012 16:56 #4729

• akita1
  • Proud and Loud
Hi All,Thanks for your thoughts and ideas,I will certainley give the cobblestones a try Dee,thanks.Right just spent nearly an hour with the vet and was very impressed by him and his caring attitude,he said he had never come across this before but he is pretty sure that gulping down the water is the cause and because he is not fully taking the water down it is cutting off the air supply,he gave him a pretty good going over and had me hold Zaks mouth shut while he listened to his heart etc which was uncomfortable as Zak was starting to panic a bit not being able to breath but he behaved impeccably,he said he can find nothing wrong with his heart etc so thankfully all good their,He suggested when he wants a drink let him have a small drink then take the bowl away for a while then return it so he does not do one prolonged drink I will find this hard but will have to do it as will everyone else at home when I am not their.On the downside he has put on nearly six pounds since the beginning of april when he had his chemical castration implant he now weighs in at 58 kilos which is far too heavy,this is partly caused by this implant which they warned me would make him a bit on the lazy side also that his appetite would increase which it has, he eats like a blooming elephant so once again I am going too have to be cruel to be kind so instead of 2 large meals a day I am going to try 3 smaller ones spread across his normal mealtimes and try and tempt him into a bit longer when on his walks I will stop waffling on for now and look foward to my trip to Wembley on Sunday to watch Spurs beat Chelsea once again thanks for all your kind thought Bill&Zak.

Re: Sickening Feeling 14 Apr 2012 22:09 #4730

• xmuadx
  • Akita Savie
Hi
So pleased that its nothing serious, but a worry, all the same. Not the same at all but re. the feeding. Before we fostered the three puppies Kiri was a very fussy eater and had a delicate tummy. So that she didn't feel left out when we fed the pups 4 times daily , we did the same with her. Also with her water, we give her small amounts more frequently. She is so much better and it has really perked her up. I think she was just getting uncomfortable with too much food at once. We noticed that she is more enthusiastic with her walks too. So maybe Zac will benefit from this change and want to go walking more, and this will help his weight.
Enjoy the football!

Re: Sickening Feeling 15 Apr 2012 08:06 #4738

• Stephanie
  • Trustee
Sorry to hear that this has happened again. Dee's suggestion sounds good. I guess hiss implant is making him thirsty and he is rushing the water down. Either that or he wants to see those gorgeous vets again!
I do hope it gets sorted. How is his tail now?
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Sickening Feeling 15 Apr 2012 09:17 #4739

• akita1
  • Proud and Loud
Hi Stephanie,I did ask them about the tail and the rest of his coat the vet said thier has been a big improvement but I dont see it myself,maybe as I see him all the time I dont notice it but she said it could take up to a year to get back to normal so i am going on e-bay to look for a tail wig for him! Bill&Zak.

Re: Sickening Feeling 15 Apr 2012 15:06 #4742

• curlytail
  • Teenage Rampager
poor thing hope he gets sorted the cobble stones are a good idea to try or a motorised fountain so he only gets a small amount at a time

Re: Sickening Feeling 16 Apr 2012 10:06 #4745

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
It might be looking into 'collapsed trachea' as this can be a cause. It seems to be more in toy breeds though. It may be worth mentioning to the vet though ... it's exacerbated by obesity though, so getting his weight down would be the first priority. Google will provide a wealth of information, although apply a degree of common sense to what you read.
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter