Welcome, Guest

Lyme Disease
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lyme Disease

Lyme Disease 13 Jun 2012 21:23 #5606

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
Now that Ruby is rampaging round our woodland every day, a potential cause for concern has emerged.

All woods are frequented by deer, and they carry ticks, and they can carry Lyme disease. Symptoms are sore joints and a temperature, stopped if the offending beasty is spotted and removed before they start to have a good feed, and it can be treated with antibiotics if you spot the symptoms in time.

Fortunately, Rubes is treated with Advocate, which not only does in fleas but lung worm and ticks as well. I've found 2 ticks on her head this week, but neither had fed and both seemed to be 'feeling a bit under the weather'- they were pretty groggy and easily came off- a victory for Advocate?

Has anyone else had encounters with ticks or heard of Akitas or other dogs getting Lyme's ?

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Lyme Disease 14 Jun 2012 06:39 #5614

• Hattiesmum
  • Proud and Loud
We too have a wood and deer. Our wood is not a happy thing to own because of one vindictive local man,( and rather rat like to look at) who is trying to get it as a village green and costing us a fortune in legal fees, but thats another story and it is not as beautiful as yours but it is part of our land and very near our back door. And yes ticks are a huge problem. Hattie does use Advocate and Advotick - one one month the other the next month. But because she has a fur problem we and the vet do not understand we are trying to just get them off manually and not use chemicals on her. But as her fur is so thin and fine that is easy. It was not easy when she had a fur coat of note. We now have a product - yet to test - called Tick Off. A more naturel product and you just put it on the tick.

Another problem we have is Mummy Deer parks her baby in the garden - where it eats my flowers while she goes off doing whatever they do - and I have to make sure Hattie can't get to it. So I have to do a recce before I let her out.

Re: Lyme Disease 14 Jun 2012 07:54 #5616

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
Sounds like we have rather different locations. My 5 acre wood is in the middle of a mile long lane with one farm at either end, the nearest large settlement is three miles away (where we live). In the thirty hours I've so far spent there ( an hour a day for the last month, I pop in on the way to work) I've seen a total of four cars go up the lane, and not one person. Intruders are not an issue. I can let Rubes of the lead and she trots round chasing squirrels up the trees. We have buzzards in the trees and doormice nesting in the Hazel, its a recognised Nature Site of county importance and ancient woodland- it was there in 1600. Its fulll of bluebells and foxgloves.

When it comes to Deer, mine will be controlled by going in a special white box to contain them. Its called the freezer. I've a pal who owns another wood and is an experienced stalker. I couldnt kill a fly, and even apologise to the ticks as they go for a sub-aqua diving session down the pan, but out here in the country shooting pests or anything edible is the norm, even a pleasure for a few hardened nutters. My weapon of choice to shoot is a digital camera, I'm a total woos and have a conscience about eating a radish.

Never heard of Advotic, but will investigate. I read that spraying the dog with a mild solution of lemon juice (or maybe citronella?) deters the Ticks.

Wonder if Captain Hook sprayed the crocodile with lemon juice- it had a bad case of Ticks.

Re: Lyme Disease 14 Jun 2012 10:30 #5617

• Hattiesmum
  • Proud and Loud
ahhhh.... we have all those things, it is a magnificernt stand of beech trees and we are not near people - this is just a vindictive and expensive blimp. Ours used to belong to the Wild Life Trust but they couldn't manage it anymore and were going to sell it so we couldn't let that happen as I am sure some one would have bought it for their kids to ride quad bikes in or similar (as thats the sort of village we have nearby) and it historically belonged to our house before anyway.

I don't mind the deer at all and last year we had two get injured on the road by the wood - the police (unlike the RSPCA) were fantastic. One officer even took his jacket off to wrap the injured deer up in to stop it flaying around and the other chased the foxes off. They were like red indians circling us it was remarkable. Huge respect to the two policemen who spent the whole afternoon helping the poor things until a rescue came - that we found for the deer. RSPCA wouldn't help as the deer were on the road and said it was a police matter.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter