Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Furballs?

Furballs? 29 Jun 2012 19:44 #5735

• akita1
  • Proud and Loud
Hi Everyone,can dogs get furballs? the reason I am asking is that Zak has been rather down this past week and I worry due to his age (he was 11 on the 7th of this month) he reluctantly came out for his stroll this evening and started to eat grass again,he has been doing this a fair bit lately and was sick almost straight away and was passing wind a lot whilst he was being sick when I looked it seemed like two clumps of matted fur and it smelt very bad he has been eating and drinking ok any help would be greatly appreciated. Bill & Zak .

Re: Furballs? 29 Jun 2012 21:02 #5736

• Joomla
  • Trustee
I know Shiro eats plenty of grass just lately, the older he gets more he seems to enjoy eating the grass. I have also noticed that he does get fur in his poo at times when he is moulting.
He does get an upset tum when it warms up a bit as well. I put him on light foods, chicken and rice, fish etc and he will also self starve himself when he feels unwell.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Furballs? 29 Jun 2012 22:13 #5738

• Suky
  • Proud and Loud
It is perfectly normal. Dogs lick themselves, groom, and so they swallow hair. Grass is the way to get this out of their digestive system as it purges them and this is also done by wolves. It tends to be worst during the heavy moult.

It might be worth checking his coat and skin as Akita's are prone to allergies and Zak might be itchy. Thorn threw up a lot of fur before we sorted out his itchy bits and stopped feeding him wheat.

Sue and Thorn.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter