Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Poorly Ben

Poorly Ben 29 Sep 2012 15:02 #6784

• Bens Mum
  • Calm before the storm
Ben is currently lying in the garden not able to move very well. About 3 weeks ago he twisted his knee and was given an injection and painkillers. We were told not to walk him for a week, so we didn't. He perked up really quickly and we were able to go away to the Yorkshire Dales with him for a week.

While we were away he had to have more walks (very little ones) as the house we rented didn't have a garden. He wouldn't settle down while we were away; if I left the room to go upstairs he would have to follow me. He wore himself out following us.

Last Tuesday when I came home from work, he greeted me and when I was upstairs getting changed I heard him coming up the stairs when he let out a slight yelp. When I looked over the bannisters I could see he couldn't keep his weight on his back legs. He then lost his balance and bounced down to the bottom of the stairs. He couldn't move except for shaking.

I called the vet out who fortunately said that Ben hadn't broken anything and that he had jolted his knee again. Ben was given a jab and tablets.

I think he has hurt his knee again as today he is very down; he went into the garden earlier, tried to poo and just flopped down which is where he has been for about 1/2 an hour.

When we saw the vet last week, he suggested we start hydrotherapy as soon as possible, and we are currently waiting to hear back from our local hydrotherapy centre.

I am so worried about my boy; I don't want to give up on him yet as he still has spark in his eyes and the puppy in him, but he is so down.

Re: Poorly Ben 29 Sep 2012 22:17 #6785

Oh poor Ben, could he have his knee bandaged or something just like you would bind a sprain? it might stop him from putting too much strain on it and stop it from hurting I wish there was something I could suggest that would perk him up, but the poor boy sounds quite down bless him, it's so hard to get them to rest when they need to isn't it. I've heard only good things about hydrotherapy but what on earth do you do with poor Ben while you're waiting to get him started on the hydrotherapy!

Please let us know how he's doing, I hope he's feeling a bit better.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Poorly Ben 30 Sep 2012 08:25 #6789

• Bens Mum
  • Calm before the storm
Thank you for your comments.

My other half slept downstairs with him last night. Ben seems a bit better this morning.

I am going to call our vet this morning (one of the few vets that opens on a Sunday) to ask about more painkillers.

Unfortunately, we have got to wait until the 9th October before he has his first hydro session.

Re: Poorly Ben 30 Sep 2012 10:28 #6790

• Hattiesmum
  • Proud and Loud
very difficult to bandage a dogs leg because of the shape of it. We know we tried it. It is so difficult when they have these problems. Our old boy had a bad back that was hard when he would fall down as he was huge. Good luck with it all.

Re: Poorly Ben 30 Sep 2012 14:40 #6792

• xmuadx
  • Akita Savie
Sorry to hear about poor Ben, hope you managed to get him some relief from the vet today. It sounds as though he's getting stressed about it, don't know if anyone can suggest anything to keep him calmer until his Hydrotherapy starts? I don't really know if it would be appropriate but would a small dose of something like travel pills for dogs work, or anything herbal. Denise is usually well up on this sort of thing, if she reads this I'm sure she will have some advice.

Re: Poorly Ben 30 Sep 2012 23:18 #6799

Glad Ben's feeling a bit better, did the vet give him more pain killers? I hope this week goes by fast for him and he can start his hydrotherapy treatment
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter