Welcome, Guest

weight question
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: weight question

weight question 05 Nov 2012 18:01 #7254

Asia has become a bit sedatory of late, in other words a lazy slob and she's put a bit of weight on, can someone tell me what weight an 8 year old lady akita should average please
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: weight question 05 Nov 2012 19:23 #7256

• Joomla
  • Trustee
I think that the girlies are allowed a little middle age spread Pauline lol I cant be much help i'm afraid. Micha was 54kg and massivly overwieght because of the steroids. Shiro is 41kg and he put on nearly a kilo when he was castrated 3yrs ago and has stayed at that, and he looks and feels ok.

Re: weight question 06 Nov 2012 07:48 #7257

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
A common reason for 'middle age spread' combined with a reluctance to exercise is frequently due to a decrease in Thyroid levels which is commonly seen at around 8 years +. There is no reason why they should be fatter at this age than any other, assuming that you haven't increased her food then I would test her thyroid (full panel) and if necessary medicate, and increase exercise, decrease food intake. If you don't address a thyroid issue then it's almost impossible to shift the weight. Meg is borderline hypothyroid, but after being stable for 4 years needed an increase to her thyroid medication at 8.5 years old due to the normal decrease in thyroid levels.

For a tweenie girl I'd expect them to be around 30kg.
Last Edit: 06 Nov 2012 07:48 by AkitaInu.

Re: weight question 06 Nov 2012 13:41 #7258

30 kg!!! them my poor Asia must be about to explode!!!! she'48 kilo! when she was underweight (as told by the vet) she was about 32 kilos, the vet told us to get some weight on her to get her to around 42 kilos, he said her top weight is around 47 kilo's. I've had the vet nurse on the phone to me twice, it's nice to know they're bothered about her, but I know my girl and she only eats what I cook for her, veg and fresh lamb, I'm stopping the lamb 'cos that's very fatty and I'll just just giving her chicken and the chicken and veg stew that I make her each week She has her chondroitin?glucosamine with a bit of cheese so I'll change that to low fat cottage cheese, I tried her with it this morning and her face was picture it all stuck to the roof of her moth I think but other than that there isn't much more that I can change, she gets a 20 to 30 min walk in the morning and a 45 min walk in the evening, on the weekends she gets a 2 hour walk on Sat and Sun. Her legs are a bit arthritic these days so she's slowed down a lot, not much I can do about that really

What other symptoms are there in a thyroid problem? don't they get a bit grumpy with that, she's definatly not grumpy

Denise, I think you're right it's just a bit of middle age spread, I can still feel some of her backbone, her ribs are hard to find through all the thick fur though she's very happy and content she's just had a nice morning in her favorite place in the garden, I've made her a matt out of some natural fencing to raise her from the ground a little bit and then I cover it with her fleeces It started to rain so she's now laying on the settee in front of a real log fire, not spoiled really

Re: weight question 06 Nov 2012 14:57 #7260

• AkitaInu
  • Proud and Loud
I would expect to be able to feel the ribs. A lot of pet dogs are overweight. If she's slowing down and her exercise is reducing then you need to feed correspondingly less food. If she has a touch of arthritis then it is doubly important that you keep the weight off her as excess weight will make the arthritis more painful. Akita's and Akita Inu's need very little food. If you can't increase her exercise, then reduce her food.

Mine are on raw and Meg gets about 300g twice a day and does a 45 minute walk (or 25 min run - 5km) in the morning and a 45 minute walk in the evening.

Meg is overweight at 33kg ... and it's due to her thyroid problems. Her only symptoms are that she doesn't blow her coat properly and is a bit lazy and doesn't get fitter easily, no grumpiness. Grumpiness is a possibly symptom but not present in a lot of cases. Lower thyroid levels is, in many cases, the CAUSE of middle aged spread.

Re: weight question 06 Nov 2012 15:44 #7261

Her excersize isn't reducing, she gets the same as she's always had and I'm very familiar with akita dog arthritis, my old Benny had it from the age of 14 months bless him, he was on rymadyl most of his life and he had 3 monthly vet checks Asia's touch of arhritis is the reason why we had her weighed this weekend but the thing is that she really isn't eating anything too fatty, just a bit of lamb which I'm going to stop, if I cut out anymore food she'll be eating next to nothing Her severe allergies prevent her from having any "proper" doggy treats or fattening humam food, all she eats is her own home cooked food and a few home made treats + ! egg and some yogart each day

She'll be going tp be weighed again in December so hopefully that'll show a bit of weight loss
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter