Welcome, Guest

Nice to be back
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Nice to be back

Re: Nice to be back 24 Apr 2013 13:16 #8661

• Joomla
  • Trustee
Thank goodness Thorn is back home with you, i am sure he will be back to bouncing around very soon, they recover very quickly, even after major ops.
You could try using a injection tube and squirt some water down his throat, this might also encourge him to drink on his own.
Keep us up to date with his progress, wishing you both all the best.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Nice to be back 24 Apr 2013 21:09 #8662

• Suky
  • Proud and Loud
Thanks Denise. It has been a very much up and down day today. First thing he was still refusing food then I had a light bulb moment and offered him some tuna. The greedy pig ate two cans but still refused water. He was also refusing to go into our garden. I think that he was scared of using his tongue.

He had a small walk after stuffing himself and then slept for a couple of hours. After a second very short walk he actually asked to go into the garden and drank about a pint of water from his bowl, which we keep out there as he is such a swamp monster.

Later this afternoon I walked him back to the vet, only about 150 yds and although he does not hold any grudge he whined, I call it singing, all the time he was there. Poor boy must have been stressed. It wasn't all plain sailing as he had two injections and we came home with a pile of expensive drugs. We go back on Saturday morning.

So far so good. He has not noticed that they have shaved his tail.........yet. I don't think he will be impressed when he spots the funny poodle cut they have given him.

He is a little less listless and we have had a few minutes of the real him, but they don't last long. When offered another walk this evening, instead of heading straight to the front door and sitting for his lead to be put on, he yawned and sauntered into the kitchen. We took that as no.

Hopefully we will get a bit more sleep tonight and he can sleep in our room now he's not dribbling blood everywhere. Most of the carpets are scotch guarded which made cleaning up after him easy, but not our pale bedroom one.

Sue

Re: Nice to be back 25 Apr 2013 16:49 #8664

Poor boy, but it sounds like he's come through the op really well It's good that he's eating and finally had a drink of water his mouth is proberly feeling a bit weird to him, but they're amazing at coping arn't they. He'll soon be back to his old self I'm sure

Please keep us posted on his progress

Re: Nice to be back 27 Apr 2013 12:06 #8672

• Suky
  • Proud and Loud
Two days on. He's eating well, drinking and yesterday starting taking interest in his toys. Each day has good bits and then down bits.

We were back at the vet this morning to have his tail bandage removed and the skinny, stubbly spot is even more funny than when he had the yellow, chicken patterned bandage on. It is growing tho and hopefully by the end of the summer his tail will look as good as it was before.

His mouth is doing well and the vet did a great job on it, unless you know it hardly shows. It is such a relief.

Now it is waiting time to see if the mass regrows. That is the only thing that worries me now.

I will post some piccies of the before and after with the tail. When his tail is up on his back, it looks as if he has a handle in the middle of it.

Sue & Thorn - he's back to his usually bouncy, nosey self today at least.

Re: Nice to be back 27 Apr 2013 14:32 #8674

• Joomla
  • Trustee
Good to hear that Thorn is getting back to himself, and showing interest in his food, water and toys.
It is a good job that they are not in front of the mirror all day, or he would'nt go out !!! Bless him.

Re: Nice to be back 28 Apr 2013 23:03 #8687

I'm so glad he's back to himself now, it's horrible to see them not themselfs isn't it, Asia took some time to get back to her funny cheeky self so Mr. Thorn is doing really well

How long will it be before the risk of it coming back has passed? or is it just down to regular checks throughout his life? The only thing you can do is live for "now" isn't it, it's hard to stop thinking about it coming back but as time goes by and you see him all heathy and happy the negative thoughts will get less and less
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter