Welcome, Guest

Coming into season - I've also posted this in gene
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Coming into season - I've also posted this in gene

Coming into season - I've also posted this in gene 09 Apr 2013 11:19 #8560

• Michelle
  • Bear Puppy
Hi I was hoping for some advice/information....

I have a 7 month old Akita who came into season 4 days ago. I was wondering if someone could tell me on average;

How long will she bleed for?
When is she fertile?
How long is she fertile for?

My parents have an Akita too (he's the big dog in my picture) and she was with him right up until the day before she came into season (or so we think).

She is very subdued and obedient which I can only assume is normal.

Is there anything I should/shouldn't be doing for her?

Any information is appreciated.

Re: Coming into season - I've also posted this in gene 09 Apr 2013 12:01 #8561

• Joomla
  • Trustee
Hi Michelle,
Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time here.

The season will last 3wks approx, some are a few days less some are a few days more. After aprox 12 days into her season, she will seem to stop bleeding, but this is the fertile period. This will last 5 days, and should be kept away from all the male dogs, it would be best to keep the males away from day one, but this is when she will be more inclined to mate with a male.

They can have mood swings in the few weeks before, during and after her season. During her 5 day clear period she will probabley become a tart, sorry, but it is the best way to discribe it lol and will do what she can to get to males, also when walking she will do little squirts of wee every where to let all the males know she is in season !!

If she is not keeping herself clean in her nether region, then making sure she is clean will stop infections etc. I know there are homopathy things you can give her to help her through her season, but it has been awhile since i have had to deal with this and have forgotten, will see if i can find out what they are !!
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michelle

Re: Coming into season - I've also posted this in gene 09 Apr 2013 12:47 #8562

• Michelle
  • Bear Puppy
Cheers Denise.

The Male was suppose to be coming over on Thursday but not sure whether to cancel it as it will completely mess the day up.

Her mood has generally been great I really cant complain. I wasn't expecting her to come into season until she was around 1 so it came as a bit of a surprise.

Am I right in thinking I can get her spayed in around 3 months time?

Re: Coming into season - I've also posted this in gene 09 Apr 2013 14:39 #8564

• Joomla
  • Trustee
I think it would be best that the male does not come over until her season is finished. It only takes seconds for something to happen, and you really do not want to chance it, she is still a puppy herself.
Bitches will come in to season from 6mths, some are bang on the six months some dont come in to season till they are 12mths.
3mths from the end of her season she can be speyed, so looking to get her done in July. It is not a cheap thing and you could possibly get help from the Dogs Trust if you get certain benefits and in certain areas, you could possibly speak with the vet you will be taking her to and ask if you can pay so much a month till she is due to be done ??
Just suggestions to help and do not hope you take any offence from the suggestions.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Coming into season - I've also posted this in gene 09 Apr 2013 19:35 #8566

• Michelle
  • Bear Puppy
Thanks for that Denise and I haven't took offence to anything you've said in fact I think it's very kind that you have suggested those options to me as I had no idea they were out there. I'm lucky enough to be able to pay for the operation/follow up treatment out right and will look at getting it booked in for July.

I agree she is way to young to have puppies and it's not at all what we want for us/her.

Thanks for all your advice it's been very helpful.

Re: Coming into season - I've also posted this in gene 10 Apr 2013 12:31 #8575

• oldclaypaws
  • Proud and Loud
Theres considerable variation in how long a bitches season lasts and when they are fertile, even in the same dog. I monitored Ruby's seasons with progesterone hormone checks when we had planned to have a litter. Yes, as a rule when the discharge is clearer they are coming up to ovulation, and 10-12 days is typical, after which they are fertile for maybe another 3 days. However in Autumn 2011 Ruby was indicated fertile at 10 days (and despite expenditure of £1500 didn't get pregnant due to the lab being shut over the weekend when the critical test was taken), in Autumn 2012 she wasn't 'ripe' until about 17 days, and it can go longer than that. Theres considerable variation.

The only sure way to avoid pregnancy is avoid dogs and have them spayed, while ovulating they are escape artists and will try to get out, wonder off or even jump fences to find a male, its a strong primal urge.

Again, I'd stress to anyone thinking of breeding, its not a guaranteed money spinner (we actually lost £3000 and only had one live puppy), its very time consuming, messy, stressful and there can be unforeseen complications such as pups having defects or being unable to sell them.

While our surviving pup is adorable, we're not going to repeat the experience. (see my new addition post for updates, new pictures posted a couple of days ago)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter