Welcome, Guest

Excessive moulting
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Excessive moulting

Excessive moulting 22 Nov 2013 16:27 #9300

• KP52
  • Bear Puppy
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Hi All
Our 6 year old Akita/ Husky is moulting like crazy at the moment. He always loses a lot of hair at this time of year, but this year it's worse than ever. It comes out in clumps, we're thinking of renaming him Tufty! Anyone else experiencing the same problem, or have come across it before? Don't worry he's in no danger of becoming bald, there's plenty left on him! Is this something we should worry about?

Re: Excessive moulting 23 Nov 2013 00:46 #9302

Hello I love the picture of "Tuffty" the way he's chewing on the log he should be called "Woody"

The moulting sounds normal to me, My asia moults diffently every year she usually moults at Christmeas, but this year she's finished her moult by he end of summer! and it came out in big ger clumps than ever! but I think it finished quicker than usual It might be something to do with the lovely warm summer we had
The following user(s) said Thank You: KP52

Re: Excessive moulting 25 Nov 2013 11:05 #9303

• KP52
  • Bear Puppy
Thanks for the reassurance! Actually he is looking slightly better today, we use a furminator on him which is great, but I wonder if we should use another brush as well, any recommendations?
We moved furniture this weekend and there was so much hair under the sofa it was like another dog!

Re: Excessive moulting 27 Nov 2013 17:53 #9304

Sometimes a softer brush is better for his tummy, my asia has massive tufts on her soft tummy fur I also use a rake type comb on her tail for the harsher fur, it's trial and error really, the furmenator works for most of the time but when is gets towards the end of moulting and the skin is more exposed the furminator can be a bit harsh, so perhaps the softer brush is better, I do a lot of plucking as well, when Asia thinks she's getting lots of stroking and fussing she doesn't realise I'm plucking at her like a chicken I get a lot of fur out by plucking Iding but the moult does stop eventually and you'll have a few hair free months to enjoy

Re: Excessive moulting 07 Dec 2013 23:18 #9313

• Suky
  • Proud and Loud
Since taking on Thorn, I reckon that Akita's generally moult all year round and they can be very perverse. They lull us into a false sense of relief that moulting is slowing down, then the large tufts appear that have to be teased out. However, most of us love them so much that we suffer gladly.
Last Edit: 07 Dec 2013 23:19 by Suky.

Re: Excessive moulting 09 Dec 2013 00:18 #9315

You're so right suki I fall for it every time, even after being owned by an akita for nearly 20 years! I always think its over and off we go again! I think asia is starting just in time for christmas my old Benny would moult almost all year round
Last Edit: 09 Dec 2013 00:19 by bensonsmum.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter