Welcome, Guest

Teeth - Smile With Confidence!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Teeth - Smile With Confidence!

Re: Teeth - Smile With Confidence! 12 Dec 2013 12:55 #9325

Thorn sounds like a really good boy letting you clean his teeth Asia can't eat bones to help keep her teeth clean, soI tried the toothbrush but she was having nothing to do with it, she just wanted to eat the brush! I kept on trying but it was a definate no no from madam
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Teeth - Smile With Confidence! 12 Dec 2013 23:20 #9330

• Suky
  • Proud and Loud
I started gently with some beef flavoured toothpaste. He was allowed to lick it off my fingers at first, then I rubbed some on to his nose, which he could lick off. Gradually, we graduated to me putting it on his tongue and then we showed him the brush. I even got my toothbrush out and cleaned my teeth with it so he could see what was going to happen.

But before I tried to brush his teeth, he again got to lick the toothpaste off the brush. Once he was familiar with that we started very gently brushing just one canine. It took about 2 months and tubes of toothpaste before we could brush them properly. No fuss, just persistance my part. It was important to get him to allow us to do this as he cannot have bones anymore although he can have some chews. Ian, our vet, says that too many chews could make his jaw unstable or even break the pins holding it together.

His new, big treat as he can no longer have the big beef bones he loved is to have beef broth. I put a section of a leg bone in my slow cooker and simmer it for 36 hours. Then I can scrape off all the ligaments, tendons etc plus get all the marrow out too. With a bit of onion and carrot that has also cooked to a mush, he is in doggy heaven.

Re: Teeth - Smile With Confidence! 13 Dec 2013 22:33 #9331

You did well to be do patient I've found some nice big chicken feet (chicken is the only meat Asia can eat) and as long as I hold the chicken foot while she eats it so's she doesn't eat it too quick and they seem to be cleaning some of the guff from her teeth now but if she goes off the chicken feet I'll try your toothbrust training technique

What a spoiled boy Thorn is with his doggy beef stew but wel worth the spoiling I'm sure

Re: Teeth - Smile With Confidence! 14 Dec 2013 17:10 #9332

• Suky
  • Proud and Loud
Chicken feet. Yummy! Actually the Chinese love them.

You are right, he is worth the spoiling. We can't spoil him enough but we also make sure that he does not get any big ideas about it, like he's the one in charge. He is very aware that obedience gets him a lot further than being not.

As you have no doubt guessed, we are also very, very proud of Bear Boy.

Re: Teeth - Smile With Confidence! 15 Dec 2013 01:05 #9333

The chicken feet really stink but she loves them so I have to put up with the stinking

Yes I did get a bit of an idea that you are very proud of your big bear boy They are so deserved of our pride though arn't they I feel proud of my Asia every day, she has come through so much and learnt how to be loved, it took a lot of time but time well spent to see her so happy, akita's are a very special breed, they can be soooo stubborn but they are also very intelligent....in their own akita way

Re: Teeth - Smile With Confidence! 15 Dec 2013 15:56 #9334

• Suky
  • Proud and Loud
There is just something about Akita's that seems very special. Even people who don't know the breed seem to be stunned by these gentle giants, that's when they are not scared stiff and crossing the road to avoid them!

Despite their size they look so elegant and are so gentle. Okay, they can be a bit exuberant, but I think I might be if I was as good looking as these wonderful bears. Not only that they come in so many different colours and then there is the Inu and the American Akitas.

When we went to Bristol Dogs' Home in November 2010, as I was getting out of the car I was given just a teeny lecture to remind me that we were approaching the adoption of a dog with our heads. Hmm, guess who went head of heels in love with one bear dog the moment he saw him? Yep wonderful husband. Funnily, we had already discounted several dogs for myraid reasons including that most of them did not know how to play as Sir wanted a dog to play with. Well, at this first meeting Thorn was very playful. Once we got him home, does he play? Umm not very often.

By that time it was too late, we were in love and he's here to stay. The annual card to the Dog's home has gone and this year Thorn told them that we were okay as Akita parents so he would stay another year. This was because we were told we would return him within a year. All I can say is that this wonderful dog was not properly appreciated prior to us adopting him.

I am so glad I found this forum with like minded people as there are not too many Akitas around here. In a town of about 170,000 souls we only know of 5 other Akitas.

Sadly, we will probably be too old and getting a bit frail when it is time for Thorn to cross that Rainbow bridge, something that I hate to think about, so it may mean that a pup or another long term adoption may not be feasible. However, we could foster......... ideas anyone?
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter