Welcome, Guest

sebaceous adentis
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: sebaceous adentis

sebaceous adentis 22 Aug 2014 13:50 #9589

• hitman44
  • Calm before the storm
My Diesel was diagnosed with this condition about 4 months ago now and not one i had heard of before he was diagnosed its a condition that is seen more in double coated dogs Akita s one of them instead of me trying to explain the ins and outs of it just Google sebaceous adentis.
Anyway when i first went to vets it was because of hair loss on is head and also thinning of is hair on is back and when he was diagnosed he was started on antibiotics and steroids and had to have a medicated scrub bath every other day for a week and then twice a week.
At present hes been gradually taken of the steroids as they are never a long term solution because of side affects. and having just one medicated bath each week and has been on yumega plus for about 3 weeks now but i don't think its helping in the slightest but will carry on due to advise of vet.
I know this condition can only be managed and not cured but at the moment it just feels like im fighting a losing battle i wouldn't say is condition is getting much worse but there's no signs of it been under control so any help of advise would be appreciated and is there any creams or oils i can use on is skin

Re: sebaceous adentis 22 Aug 2014 14:50 #9593

Sorry to hear this, I'm affraid I've no knowledge of it, but could it be diet related? have you tried an allergenic food for him, some of these prepared dog foods are full of chemicals arn't they, I know Asia used to have very itchy skin, before her allergies were diognosed when her skin looks irritated I 100% use aloe vera gel on it, it's very soothing and helps soften the skin up a bit, it might sting for a second or two, but soon clams things down
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: sebaceous adentis 22 Aug 2014 16:41 #9594

• hitman44
  • Calm before the storm
Hi no its not a dietary condition its more to do with it been past on its not a common disease and not contagious. Symptoms and Identification
Dogs affected with sebaceous adenitis will have whitish scaling of the skin with waxy, matted hair as a result of the scaling. The fur may have a moth-eaten appearance, or be sparse, dull, or completely absent. An affected dog’s fur is often said to lose its curl.

The head, neck, and back tend to be affected first, with a backward and downward spreading of the scaling, hair loss, and other lesions. Itchiness is not a primary component of the disease, but once the abnormal skin becomes secondarily infected with bacteria and/or yeast, the itching can become intense.

Non-dermatologic symptoms are rare but have been seen in the most severely affected breed, the Akita. In this breed, fever and malaise have been reported in conjunction with this disease process. Otherwise, the disease is 100 percent confined to the skin.

Veterinarians can diagnose the disease via skin biopsy.t-ages and even if your treating the condition it can lead to having to put the dog down.
the above i copied just to explain it a bit better

Re: sebaceous adentis 23 Aug 2014 15:33 #9596

• Hattiesmum
  • Proud and Loud
hello - my akita, Hattie has sebaceous adenitis. There is a helpful facebook site called sebaceous adenitis akitas united. Where people offer and discuss how they deal with the condition. it is very useful as vets mostly have not a clue about it or how to help it as there is no fix for it.

Our vet prescribed a drug called Atopica. This made her very ill almost immediately - and it can have side effects so we stopped it and we handle the situation by giving her special baths with shampoos from the vet,(we can do it now every 3 weeks - before it was every two weeks) an oily fish every night to top of her dinner and salmon oil capsules and zinc. I brush her with a 'zoom groom' rubber brush and finally after about 3 years of this I have a reasonable looking dog right now.

She was about 2 when we noticed her coat was bad and we think it occurred after we used Advocate and Advotick on her. Although of course it is an inherited condition and this may or may not be a coincidence. Her brother also has the same problems also after using the flea products. He has had a very good response as his owner soaks him in baby oil - weekly - and then walks him for about 45 mins and then baths him. You would not know he was affected now.

Don't give up and don't dispair - it is very common in the breed. It just needs work. people don't put the dogs down these days for it - unless they are very mean and lookist about the dog - it can be managed. You will think you have beaten it and then there will be an outbreak of dry scabby skin and then you have to up the baths and treatments. Do check out the face book page.
Last Edit: 23 Aug 2014 15:37 by Hattiesmum. Reason: added a bit more info
The following user(s) said Thank You: hitman44

Re: sebaceous adentis 23 Aug 2014 17:35 #9599

• hitman44
  • Calm before the storm
thanks for the advise and will check out the facebook website im pretty sure the condition is past on has its not infectious from what i have found out about it so far'
and as long as i have a breath in my body i will make sure that he as an happy life

Re: sebaceous adentis 23 Aug 2014 18:27 #9600

• Hattiesmum
  • Proud and Loud
It is not infectious at all. it is a malfunction of the oil glands. And is passed down through the parents. It does not affect the dog at all as long as you keep the skin nice and clean.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter