Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hip Issues

Hip Issues 14 Oct 2014 18:59 #9677

• LC-Bruno
  • Bear Puppy
Evening,

We had Bruno in to to have his balls removed (poor little bugger - I am supposed to say that as I am male )

The Vet noticed that his hip was clicking so did an X-ray to check this out and it seems the hip joints are not great to the extent he believes it might be a birth defect (I guess this means a poor hip score but don't know?)

he has no symptoms of issues yet which is great but it seems if we want to operate it is best done before 1 year or after that it becomes a hip replacement in later life.

I don't have have pet insurance as I take this risk and over the years saved a lot not paying it and get so attached to the dogs we have that I would do all I could even if it was expensive (not sure how I will this time as just had a child and one on the way but I will do some how)

Has anyone had experience of this type of issue on how it affected the dog and what sort of financial impact it might have on me as it is a concern.

Lee

Re: Hip Issues 24 Oct 2014 23:57 #9681

So sorry to be late in getting back to you

My old Benny, from many years ago, had to have major surgery whe he was about 18 months old and they discovered his hips wern't the best they could be, but he never had any hip problems throughout his life, but of course no-one can know whats in the future But I would recomend finding a good insurance, if you get him insured now, before any hip problems may arise, you'll be able to have him covered for hips, but once you have to get him seen by a vet for hip problems you'll never get cover from any company, the cost of a hip op will be massive, but hopefully you have no vet records of hip problems right now and you'll get ins coverm hopefully you won't ever need to claim 'cos he'll be fit anf healthy all his life
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Hip Issues 27 Oct 2014 20:10 #9692

• LC-Bruno
  • Bear Puppy
Thanks for the advice and to be honest I had not thought that I could still get insurance but I will give the vet a call and check he will be ok with this in the future.

To be honest the way he has been behaving suggests it is not an issue yet!!!

Re: Hip Issues 31 Oct 2014 11:43 #9698

• malibu2027
  • Akita Savie
Good luck xxxxxx
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter