Welcome, Guest

Separation Anxiety
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Separation Anxiety

Separation Anxiety 26 Oct 2014 09:40 #9684

• WasaSparks
  • Bear Puppy
It looks as though I will have a rescue 4x4paws fairly soon. She has separation anxiety and I have been looking on the web for solutions both through training and medication. One source suggests Dr. Bach's Rescue Remedy or Veterinary Skullcap and Valerian. Whilst Valerian has been used for over 2 millennia and appears fairly innocuous, I am a bit concerned about Skullcap. The Dr. Bach's remedies are a complete unknown to me.

I shall be asking her vet but any additional help from the wider knowledge base of owners will be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Re: Separation Anxiety 26 Oct 2014 09:42 #9685

• WasaSparks
  • Bear Puppy
Sorry to all but guess which idiot put this in the wrong forum.

Re: Separation Anxiety 07 Nov 2014 23:50 #9730

such a hard thing to get sorted but with patience it can br done I don't know about the remedies, but a full cong is very helpful And when you leave the house don't speak to dog or pay any attention to dog, just put the cong down, wait a bit and walk out of the door so that leaving the house isn't a big deal, it'sjust part of everyday life and do the same when you come home, just quick hello and ignore over exuberant dog behaviour, when dog settlesyou can fuss and cuddle a bit then they learn that being calm gets results and being excited gets ignored eventually you can do happy greetings on coming home To start with do afew very short exits from the home, waite about 5 mins before coming back into the house and don't go back into the house if dog is barking or howling, go in when the barking or howling stops, gradually lenghten the time you stay out of the house as you see improvments. Do as many of these 5 min excersizes a day and follow the same "rules" whe you have to go to work or leave home for a long time Basically you simply want dog to realize that you are coming back and the more times you leave (for a few mins) the sooner they realize they are not being abandoned This worked quite quick for my Benny when he used to get stressed when we moved home, but I had one dog who was beyond help and we just had to make sure anything that he could destroy was put out of the way.... but it wasn't possible to put the carpet, curtains, settee and chest of draws out of the way

Good luck and let us know how you get on please
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WasaSparks
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter