Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hi all

Hi all 01 Dec 2015 12:32 #10053

• Phil562
  • Bear Puppy
I was lucky enough to find our Akita in a rescue centre in July 15 she is a wonderful dog and it is obvious her previous owner had gave her a good life. We have tried her on a number of diets but most wet and dry mixtures leave her with very soft bowels and diarrhoea. for the last few weeks we have had her on a dry only mix and it seems to be working for her however I'm concerned that this may not be the best for her. Can anyone put me in the right direction and if I have made the right decision can you recommend a good dry food as the range is massive. Thanks to you all in advance.

Regards

Phil

Re: Hi all 01 Dec 2015 23:54 #10054

Hello Phil and welcome to you and your rescue akita lady

I'm not very informed about dry foods and complete foods as my Asia is hypo-allergenic and I have to cook everything she eats, if you don't get any answers from someone in the know perhaps you could talk to your vet, they usually have a good idea of nutrition ect.

I hope you get your answers soon

Any pics of your akita lady
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Hi all 02 Dec 2015 22:14 #10055

Hi Phil,
I'm really new to this forum myself, but I have two rescue Akitas. My old boy Kai had a lot of problems on and off, but is now really settled on James Welbeloved turkey and rice. I mix in a bit of boiled chicken and juice to make it a bit nicer, and both my dogs are really happy with it. I get cheap supermarket chickens and cook them in the slow cooker.( obviously chuck away the bones).
If Kai does get diarrhoea I put him straight on to fresh boiled rice with chicken or egg for a day or two, and he gets better straight away. One of my friends swears by feeding her dog fish, but Kai hated it .
Hope this might help.
Cheers Jane
The following user(s) said Thank You: PerthPixi

Re: Hi all 03 Dec 2015 15:14 #10056

Akita's can be fuss pots with food can't they Jane but it's just matter of trial and error a lot of the time, you seem to have found what your Kai likes to knosh on I also give Asia cheap supermarket chicken, it's the only meat she can eat, but I boil the bones up with her veggie dinner, remove them from the mix when it's cooked and then smash it all together with oats, I save any left over chicken and veg juice for her and she has it as chilled drink treat, she loves it and it last the week, in the summer it makes a nice chilled treat for her, it's a good healthy stock:)
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Hi all 18 Dec 2015 16:12 #10059

• Teresa
  • Administrator
Hi Phil and welcome to the forum, good to have you here

What dry food are you giving her? Ideally you want one where the main ingredient is meat or fish. My Akita has a pretty cast iron stomach thankfully, but my staffie suffers from allergies so I have to be really careful what he eats. I feed them both on Fishmongers Finest from Pets at Home. It is £35 for 10kg I think which isnt too bad for a decant quality food. The main ingredient is fish at 80% an it is also hypo allergenic with no trashy additives. This suits both my dogs and as long as I stay away from food and treats full of additives then he stays fine
If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either !

Re: Hi all 18 Dec 2015 18:58 #10060

• hep275
  • Bear Puppy
I'm another newbie to this forum - have a rescue long haired Akita bitch called Kimi. She came from the Dogs Trust and was fed there on Wainwrights which I think is a Pets At Home own label - we've kept her on that food but it did take a good couple of weeks for her stomach to settle to producing 'nice' bowel movements.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds

Quick Information

Akita Rescue & Welfare Trust (UK)

Registered Charity Number 1112054

Telephone 0845 260 2206 - calls charged at local rate.
Applications to adopt or rehome MUST be sent in writing via the forms provided.

Join Us Online

FacebookTwitter